Still Won't Start

NY90RedSC

Well, after having to move unexpectedly and fighting the almost continuous onslaught of snow this winter, I finally managed to get the crank sensor swapped in my 90 SC.
But, as with most things in life, the sure bet isn't always the problem and such was the case with this issue. After installing the new crank sensor and hooking everything back up, the car still will not start and, in fact, seems to have alot of noise coming from the engine during cranking that doesn't sound the least bit normal. In fact, if I was to make an educated guess, I would think the engine either has a broken crank, conmnecting rod, or even a broken piston from the sounds of the noise.
I drained the oil and found little, if any evidence of catostrophic engine failure, however, I can't ignore the clunking and grinding noises coming from under the hood when I try to start the car.
If y'all remember, I purchased this car last summer with it in non running condition. The car had recently had the timing cover and water pump replaced, but for whatever reason, the car did not run right when the previous owner picked it up from the repair shop. He managed to nurse the car home that day, but when he tried driving the car back to shop the following day, the car died and would not restart. Hence, the car sat for over a year due to lack of funds and desire to get the car back on it's feet again.
So, here the car still sits and I am now trying to decide which direction to go in with it. Should I continue down the mechanical troubleshooting path and try to remedy the ailments of this SC or should I chalk it up to a bad experience and either sell it complete or part it out?
Any ideas or suggestions about what else might be the issue with this car is greatly appreciated at this point. I really was convinced the crank sensor was going to fix the problems this car had, but obviously there are more serious, if not terminal issues with this engine. I'm even wondering if maybe I shouldn't just buy another engine for the car and start from scratch...:confused:

I say fix it!! Check compression on it, and go from there. Did you align the crank sensor correctly? If you have compression at all cylinders, it should start.

I say fix it!! Check compression on it, and go from there. Did you align the crank sensor correctly? If you have compression at all cylinders, it should start.

The crank sensor was aligned as per the guide found on this site. I printed off the whole Crank Sensor swap article from here, including pics in hi-resolution and followed the steps exactly as written. I was also able to compare, at least relatively with the crank sensor in my other SC and the installation went as per the instructions to the "T".

Back