Wear on one cam lobe - looks like

Peterdroy66

One of my cam lobes looks like it has a wear spot, it is visible, and different color in the one point over the rest of its wear pattern.
It looks like it may have worn through the hardened outer surface, you cannot feel anything, but it is clearly visible.
Is this a common problem for our cars, should I regrind and treat the cam, or should I change to something hotter?
Pete

One of my cam lobes looks like it has a wear spot, it is visible, and different color in the one point over the rest of its wear pattern.
It looks like it may have worn through the hardened outer surface, you cannot feel anything, but it is clearly visible.
Is this a common problem for our cars, should I regrind and treat the cam, or should I change to something hotter?
Pete

Please post a picture. The hardness is thick, if you wore through it then you'd have a mess.

My front cam bearing was shot as well...Well maybe not shot...But surely worn.....I took a peak at the center journal and it appeared ok.....Seems like this front lobe does wear hard as a common prob for these cars....Maybe with the lifter brace blocking the camshaft and and the valley design plus the heat from the front of the engine is helping wear these out....Or possibly they are not being torqued to spec.....But torqued to german spec....Titenuf...

Next year Im yanking the motor and redoing everything so Ill worry about that later............

F1

Back