Your opinion, whats the logical next step?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
1995 5speed car is being much more trouble than I anticipated. No start condition and i've worked on the following:

fuel system: new fuel pump, new regulator, new fuel filter, replaced injectors with another set of factory 36# injectors, no leaks in the fuel lines, innertia switch is working ok (bypassed it and problem remains), and the old spark plugs were drenched in fuel. In a nutshell, im getting fuel delivered, a rail-mounted gauge gives me about 41 psi when cranking and the pressure holds after shut down.

ignition: new autolite plugs, new motorcraft wires, coil pack swapped with a working one from the 94, same with the cam sensor, crank sensor is brand new. I'm getting spark to all plugs...i used an old wire and an old spark plug to test each plug in the coil pack to see if it fired while cranking and all do.

I've swapped the IRCM, DIS and MAF from the 94 (which all work) and the engine ground straps appear to all be intact.

What should be my next step?:confused::confused:

PCM by chance?
Ionno why, but that's what popped to mind. Maybe even though it's getting spark and fuel, the spark is at the wrong time.

You've been trying to work out this dmaned problem for way too long, I remember your other thread. If you have everything timed correctly, I would say you need to check compression. Low or no compression will cause the plugs to become drenched in fuel. Takes good compression to properly burn the fuel mixture. If you have good compression, the next thing I might look at would be a very major restriction in the exhaust. Otherwise, I agree with Patrick. Helps sometimes to have another eye look at it.

Last edited:
Check the timing. Check the firing order and then double check it. I can't count how many times I have been in a hurry, a pissy mood or just not watching what I was doing and got the wires mixed up.:rolleyes: I have also seen the firing order WRONG in repair manuals before!!!:eek: Always check the simple/cheep stuff first:D

yeah, been too long...i've triple checked on the usual things but nothing (includign the ground in the rad support). As a last resort i'd go ahead and bug Patrick by takign the car overthere, but I'm also trying to avoid that expense.

In any case, im going to try swapping the EEC with the one from my 94 and maybe fiddling with the cam synchro to make sure its aligned.

Any other suggestions?

Two ideas:

One, to see if the cam sensor could be throwing things off: Try unplugging it and see if it runs. Maybe it's out of time like you said. That's probably the simplest way to find out.

Two, did you gap the plugs before you put them in? Even out of the box, they are sometimes wrong. Not always, but it happens.

Two ideas:

One, to see if the cam sensor could be throwing things off: Try unplugging it and see if it runs. Maybe it's out of time like you said. That's probably the simplest way to find out.

Two, did you gap the plugs before you put them in? Even out of the box, they are sometimes wrong. Not always, but it happens.

I'll try that with the cam sensor tomorrow morning, in regards to the plugs...yep, i gapped them my self. I always do that just for good measure.

You wouldn't be bugging me. I have no problem with helping out.

Thanks Patrick, you rock man. I'll definatelly keep that in mind. I appreciate your help!

Besides unplugging the cam sensor and swaping EEC's...any other thoughts?

Well, I just swapped EEC's with my 94 and unplugged cam sensor and nothing, still just cranking. :confused::confused:

Any thoughts before I set it on fire? :mad::mad:

You need to find out if the problem is fuel or fire. Step one check for spark. If you have spark check fuel pressure. If you have fuel pressure plug a noid light on it and see if it is pulsing the injectors.
If that doesn't solve it I would say you have a major engine problem.
Alan

Have you tried holding your mouth right? :rolleyes:

Patrick is begging to help. Might be your only choice if you've covered every thing else.

My best guess at this point would be balancer or timing related problem.
I have seen the inner part of the balancer slip and throw the timing off 60 degrees. Did you buy the car not running or was it running and died? Any codes also?

Yes I am. I am also trying to get rid of 3 of my cars here, they are on Ebay right now. I think he bought this one not running on Ebay.

If that doesn't solve it I would say you have a major engine problem.
Alan

For example? :confused::confused: now this is scary!

Have you tried holding your mouth right? :rolleyes:

Whats that supposed to mean?

Obviously having these many cars I'd like to do the work my self. Before I go and send the car to Patrick, i'd like to exhaust all my options. Its not like I dont want his help. He knows that, he's help me before and I've bought parts from him. Its not like I can just pick the car and go. Its an expense and time that I must invest. He's not down the street, he's a few hours away so I beg you to please mind your coments and think about it before you blur them out.

In any case, back to the topic. Any other thoughts? I guess its a good idea to look for a balancer. I dont have a spare one so I can always keep it. I dont really want to 'swap' balancers with my 94 since its just too much work.

Patrick, i got ur PM. I'll be giving you a call shortly.

Back