brake fluid squirting everywhere

grape

i have the typical stiff pedal and can't hear the pump motor run when i apply the brakes and there is brake fluid squirting everywhere under the M/C. What is the most likey culprit out of all that mess? just curious

what are the typical leaks?

Duffy

I found a copy of your article on the Teves II ABS systems. It covers the trouble shooting well for electrical failures but I didn't see much about leaks. (they were probably not as bog of a problem when you wrote it)

Where are the leaks typically coming from and how are they fixed?
Which failures can be easily fixed and which should be sent off to be rebuilt?
Do all of the old units have the paint peeling on the motors or only ones with leaks?

TIA

Usually it's the rubber hose right beneath the master cylinder. They tend to get dry and crack over the years. I've had two SCs that I've had to replace the hose on. Generally it will happen without warning. When you replace it, be sure to use reinforced rubber, nothing too soft.

Last edited:
how is that hose attached? Does it slip over a short pipe? There aren't and hose clamps that I remember.

yeah, it slides onto a nipple at the bottom of the master cyliner and clamps onto another line at the other end. Get a flashlight and shine down beneath the master cylinder and it will be very obvious, the hose isnt hard to see. It is a little difficult to get to if you have large hands but it,s not too labor intensive. One of the cheapest repairs ever on a SC.

If it comes out in a fine mit then it's probably a loose fitting on the steel lines. The rubber hose has no pressure so a leak would be hard to see where it's coming from. I had a hard line rattle loose at the MC. It just needed to be snugged up but when it leaked it was a super fine mist almost like smoke. The pressure switch is also a known culprit for leaking. Just ditch the ABS. You'll be glad you did.

Remove it and take it to an auto parts store so you can compare it with what they have and get a new one. They will have rubber hoses on roles and you just need to cut the length you need.

I got a complete unit from Pull-a-part to replace mine but I am wondering if it is any good. The paint is missing from the motor just like mine. Do they all do this even if they do not leak?

Does this tell me anything about where the leak is?

I have one of those hoses in my ABS parts bin.....

I want to replace mine with a new hose since it is sitting in my garage. I checked with AutoZone, AdvancedAuto and NAPA and the hoses they have are for gas service not brake. Could you measure the ID and OD of the hose so I can try to locate the proper size for brake fluid service? :confused:

I know it isn’t the correct type of hose but I've been using a short piece of trans fluid cooler hose I had lying around as a temp repair and that was about 2 years ago. Not a drop has leaked since. If you just need the ID/OD the standard trans cooler hose is a perfect fit and you just need a few inches.

Last edited:
I can not tell you how long Nitrile transmission hose will last since it is a low pressure application but EPDM brake vacuum hose will last longer. :confused:

Power%20break%20Vacuum_HW_200x200.jpg

I have been eying up this Power Brake Vacuum Hose. I wonder if 3/8" ID is ok? Or will I have to go with the light wall 11/32" or 15/32"??? :cool:

I am surprised NAPA didn't have it. You could try cutting the ends off of a rubber line that normally goes to the caliper and had fittings on both ends. You know that would not have any problems with the brake fluid.

Back