Supercharger Problems or something else?

BArtkowsky

ok... the other day someone pulled out in front of me across 4 lanes of traffic and i had to slam on my brakes at like 40 mph or so. then when the dumass had finally passed in front of me i was pissed and yellin and I threw it down into 1st gear and mashed the gas down (it is a 92 SC 5 spd) well the rear end started hopping and i heard a popping noise come from somewhere. It is runnning weird the rpms seem to go up faster than the boost kicks in. The check engine ligght was on and the Air charge temp sensor had wiggled losse due to busted tabs, that was one code, the other was throttle position sensor/pedal position higher than expected. well i traded my TPS for a new on at the auto parts store and had to put a new gasket on the IAC motor(and cleaned it out) i reset the computer and checked it at advance and no codes come up now (except for the rad fan code which i know about) but it is still lacking the ummmph in the throttle response. the supercharges isnt making obscene noises or anything, a few months ago every so often when i mashed the gas down the supercharger made a weird noise, picture the normal noise and then add a very loud swooshing/sucking air noise and then that proceeded till i let off the gas and it was normal again, Any Ideas u guys have id really appriciate, i dont think its the head gaskets as they have been replaced at 131k and it has 176k now. Performance mods are Cold air intake, 2.5 inch exhaust from the factory header flanges back with high flow magnaflow cats and a magnaflow resonator with flowmaster mufflers. Any ideas or experiences?

A couple of ideas come to mind. Could the clutch be slipping? Or maybe you opened up a leak in the IC tubing from one of the connections coming loose.

I agree with mike. Slamming on your brakes with weak engine mounts, you couldve popped one of the seals for the intercooler tubing. Check your SC fluid level as well.

If you lost your seal on an IC tube, I would think the resulting vacuum leak would be playing havoc with you idle (It doesnt take much for that) I would check the vacuum line on the bypass and the bypass itself to start.

Ken

Although it can affect the idle, I've had several cases where the idle remained basically stable but would tend to drop off a little bit but it wasn't consistent. The same with the CEL. Sometimes it would come on at idle and sometimes it wouldn't. I've had collar nuts come loose, cracks appear in the IC, and taped seals blow out.

that appears to be in working order. if it that thing next to the upper intercooler tube that has a vaccum line attatched to it that runs toward the left side of the engine bay and connects to the intercooler tube that runs behind the engine. Unlug the vaccum line and the lever snaps closed plug it in and it opens up or vice versa. Although it does have to be revved up pretty well to get it to move. next to none low end boost( enough to maybe kick the ~~~ end out in a hopity hop for a sec, and it does hop more than it stays spinning), and some but hardly any high throttle boost...... Any other things to check?

hmmm, i had the motor mounts replaced before, but i can feel a liitle jerk in them under heavy throttle. I bought the teflon gaskets, it looks like the pontiac dealership or someone else used rtv to seal the IC tubes I have a raised top that i need to put on too but I need the spanner wrench to put it on and i was gonna wait for that to put the teflon gaskets on. Could the seal for one of the tubes caused the "pop" noise that i heard after i mashed the gas down? It does idle funny sometimes too. Its dark out now I'll check the harmonic balancer for wobble, hopefully it is just the ic tube seals, thanks guys ill let younz know

I've never had mine pop. You can always try the carburator cleaner trick to see if there is a leak. It worked on mine beautifully. I srayed it all over the intake and IC tubes until the idle rpm rose up and there was the leak., bottom corner weld on the IC.

i am getting so f*****g frustrated. Checked the crank pully for wooble and there isnt any. I loooked throught the forums and found the thread about how the pcv valve hoses detiriorate i relpaced those and a few other vac lines that looked less than impressive. I had to take the whole cowl off, I got real pisssed when the pass side snapped in 4 pieces. then the pisser busted off of the drivers side, was so happy to find a really good one on a car that the hood was already gone on, and well it was a 93 and the cowl was different so I ended up only finding the pass side which has a few fins busted off and one crack and i just rigged the pisser on the DS. Did the carborator cleaner trick to all the connections i could see and no dice. It still idles at just below 1K and the vac is still under where it used to be at idle and if u baby the exhaust by depressing it very slowly the boost barely kicks in at idle, if you gass the pedal hard then you are lucky to break 5 psi. im ready to slege hammmer it but i know i never could, id turn to the right and take it out on my truck instead. Still havent checked the supercharger fluid maybe ill run out and check that real quick...

ok checked the sc fluid. Its not the whole way to the bottom of the threads of the plug hole. It is brown and murky, and i did notice some wetness under the snout of the supercharger but not sure if it is sc fluid or not. also my Air fuel ratio guage does not move anymore since this prob started. Before the prob started it was runing lean and wouldnt make it to ideal for the life of it. It would get close if u got on it good but.... then went back down to lean. Any ideas now?

spent the whole evening from 4:30 to 8:30pm putting the teflon gaskets on the intercooler tubes, also got ambitious and put my raised top on ( i have to stop and ford tomorrow and see if they will tighten the collar nut the rest of the way 4 me) and what a pain it was to line it up right as it was off center a lil bit. Is it normal to have puddles of oil in the lower intercooler tube? Also my check guages light comes on with 3/4 tank of gas, no temp guage( disconnected for aftermarket), and oil pressure needle is just below the N of normal, no knocking or anything, I use royal purple oil in it with "hyper lube" additive (lucas wanna be). No idea why its comin on though. Still lacks some boost power, yet the collar nut still needs tightened. i am exhausted

You should bolt down the raised top before you tighten the nuts at the IC. Also, yes, some oil in the lower IC tube is normal. It's from the PCV system. I dunno why your "check gages" light is coming on. I wonder if it might be related to the temp sender you disconnected.

Its all bolted up i just need the collar nut torqued down, the aftermarket guage has been installed for a year now and it never set the check guages light off. So who knows...Another SC mystery

Its all bolted up i just need the collar nut torqued down, the aftermarket guage has been installed for a year now and it never set the check guages light off. So who knows...Another SC mystery

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I mean, did you ground the sender wire or just leave it off? If the connection wiggled loose, maybe that could have set it off now.

The temp gauge wire being disconnected won't cause the Check gauge light. What will cause a check light is if you very low on fuel and the needle on your fuel gauge is stuck at 3/4's :eek:.

I read briefly over the posts so if I repeat something, sorry. I recently had a huge problem with my car, I ended up replacing every single sensor and resealing all the tubing and puting in all new vacuum lines. Take my advise on this one lol. First things first. If you have a check engine light on, figure out what it is and fix that first. Was the light on before you had your little road rage incident? (lol) I would take a can of starting fluid instead of carb cleaner (with starting fluid the idle will raise) and start to spray every possible connection. Spray all the tubing, the vac lines, the vac trees along the firewall, and even spray the tubing and the intercooler, cracking is possible. You might need 2 cans lol. If you hear a raise in the idle, fix the leak. Make sure you spray along the intake manifold, thats were my leak was and It took me weeks to figure it out! Most important and first thing, Figure out why the check engine light is on! .

Back