Swapping early to late spindles

Tazer999

Hey all,

What all is involved in this? Are the ABS sensors from the early spindle able to swap to the newer spindle? What tools are required for this? How long should it take?

Thanks

I think the sensors are the same.It's a easy swap just don't forget to pick up the new stlye swaybar end links cause the early model endlinks won't fit the late model spindles.You don't need any special tools to do the swap.And it shouldn't take you more than a few hours.

Jay

The ABS plugs are different :(. I had to remove the sensors from the older spindles and install them on the newer ones. The other option is to cut the plugs off from the older ones and wire them into the newer ones.

If you do decide to swap sensors, be very careful removing them. They will be stuck in there pretty good and its easy to damage the sensors.

Also the length of the sensor shaft is longer on the later models. This allows the end of the sensor to "reach" across the ABS Sensor rings entirely. This change in length is needed since the shape of the spindle is different and the relative distance between the sensor "hole" in the spindle is longer away from the ABS Sensor Ring.

Regardless the early models sensors still work and do not need to be changed.

New Spindle
New Style Swaybar Links
The old style sensor works

Are you doing the Mustang Hub swap?

Excellent, thanks everyone

I am doing them Mustang swap. I already have the wheels, rotors, calipers, pads, and brake lines, I just need the spindles which are on their way this week sometime :)

I've heard of cases where the older sensors may not be quite long enough if you go to another hub like the mustangs or an aftermarket replacement, but supposedly you can gently pry out the ABS ring a bit so the sensors read them.

Back