Window tint

NH89SC

My rear window has the inner layer of aftermark tint still on the window and I haven't found a good way of removing it. Tried reducer, razor blade and a hair drier but it won't come off very well at all. I have the defroster in the glass as well and don't want to ruin it. any suggestions?

Have you tried water? It's what they use to put it on. I peeled it off of my front wndow and used water to remove the adhesive.

Never thought of that, but I will have to wait until it warms up a bit here. 14 degs in the garage at the moment.

I know this is a little old, but I found that a product called Goo Gone plus a razor blade does the job fantastically. I did the 2 rear quarter windows in about 45 minutes. As for the back window, I haven't found a way around the defroster... luckily I'm taking it to get new tint tomorrow and they are only charging me $10 to take the glue off. Well worth it as it should save my defroster and save me a good 3-4 hours of work.

This works

You need to use a heat gun hair dryer is not hot enough any electronics store you can buy one I have a Master-Mite heat gun

heat gun is great but dont have it in area too long and then apply cool water... it will crack the glass. ammonia works really good for removing old tint and as far as saving the defroster use fine steel wool. it will take off the glue without destroying your defroster. if it is really hard to get off... spray a lot ammonia on the glass then take a black garbage bag and put it over the ammonia on the window, kind of like applying new tint. then park it in the sun for a few hours. it sucks because it will be hot in the car but the tint should peel right off.

I always used alcohol. Then once i am good and drunk i use rubbing alcohol. Is says on the back of the tint box that the alcohol distroy's the glue. you are not even supposed to clean the window with it before. nail polish remover works well too. Heat guns scare me. I have broken windows from a heat gun before cause i didn't heat the glass evenly

I really don't have anything to add about tint removal, but I have had good luck repairing the rear defroster lines in previous cars. Not sure if they still sell it, but AutoZone used to sell a rear defroster repair kit that included some conductive copper paint and a stensil to paint the line. It works really well to fix small breaks in the lines. Not sure how well it would work if you had a large missing section of line though.

Nice post at the right time....

Yesterday my buddy was noticing my tint was flaking off the passenger side pretty good....I was wondering about taking it off but hadnt yet searched to see how yet....

Thanks

F1

Well I took the car in today, it's in the shop right now. They called me and quoted me $120 just to remove the glue from the back window. Granted I probably made it harder by removing the tint without heating it first... Oh well, my mistake. Overall it's going to be about $370 for 5 windows, BUT as long as it looks good than I am fine with it. I shall post up pictures later.

Back