400 miles on a tank of gas!

Mako

I have owned my 92 SC for almost three years now and I just got 400 miles for the first time on 15 1/2 gallons of gas. Most of my driving has been city driving and I very, very, very rarely get 300 miles out of a tank of gas. I finally went on a trip and was shocked at how good my gas millage was.

Just another reason why I love my car. V8 performance, smooth ride, and good gas millage when you need it for trips.

Mako

My 94 5spd was getting around the 360-385 mark, but its been decrease here lately to now its just barely 300. I keep saying to myself its because of summer and now on 1st shift having to use the AC more, but it needs a tune-up too.

I have a daily commute of 1-1/4 hours each way. Having owned an SC for over 10 years, I knew they were great for cruising. This was one reason why I bought another one. You just can't beat having power when you need it, fantastic ride and handling and great gas mileage too!
I usually get 380 to 400 miles a tank. (All turnpike driving).

One pitfall though......winters coming.

Last edited:
I'm glad this came up. I bought my '91 the other day. We had a 700 mile drive home. My '99 Amigo (3.2L V6) which my wife was driving, filled up 3 times to my 1 in the SC. They're known for getting crappy mileage. The SC, however, I figured 25 MPG. I easily got 500 miles, I think it would go to 550+ under the right conditions. Not as good the last 2 days around town, but still, not bad. Just how big is this gas tank?

Mileage master....

I usually get about 400miles to tank with my 95 5-speed. That is usually a combination of light city and mostly highway driving.

Pure highway and I've gotten 28+MPG. But usually in the summer time with the A/C on getting around 25mpg.

WInter time though, I lose about 3MPG. This is mainly due to the oxygenated fuel that we New Yorkers are forced to use.

Clean your O2 sensors with carb cleaner and a propane torch. Re-install them and see what happens to your mileage?

Change plugs and wires. Air filter, fuel filter, use TB cleaner and change PCV valve. Also Berry mans fuel injector cleaner works great. As the instructions say "pour it and floor it". Damn, feels like the car has just grown an extra 2 cylinders.

wow

In my aod 90SC i would be lucky if i got 270miles on the tank $23, but being 18 and hott roding it all the time and most in the city and going to test and tune every Wed. i guess thats pretty good:)

I drove the Mark VIII to atlanta this weekend. All hiway miles with 2 people. After we got there, the computer read 523 miles to empty. Same size tank as the SC too. Fueled up, turned around, and refueled 485 miles later, and the computer said we still had 48 miles left on the tank. 280HP, 3800lbs, and a 32V v8.

My Sc on the other hand is lucky to get 300(edit: miles per tank). I still have yet to figure out why it's not the other way around.

Last edited:
I usually get 290-310mpt on my 92 5spd. Yeah, she has 137k miles, but what could be wrong with her if I'm getting between 100-200mpt less? Granted mine is 70%around town 30%highway...but any ideas? By the way, anybody ever check out those Tornado thingys? I've heard mixed stories but they got a big fat award from HotRod (like product of year or something). Any input?

This amazes me! I get about 225 mpg...if my speedo is right. I do have 245/50ZR 16's, and I never changed the speedo gear. I also have some bolt on mods, like a 70mm MAF, 70mm TB, MAC CAI, Hi flow exhaust, and someday I might get a raised SC top, but 400 mpg !!!! I wish!!!
-Jeff

Back