FINISHED!! '92 5 speed to 4R70W conversion and PCS controller project started! (PICS)

92bird

I'm starting this thread to document my conversion. I am replacing the M5R2 5 speed manual transmission with a modified electronically controlled 4R70W automatic transmission, and the Powertrain Control Solutions stand alone transmission controller. Info on the controller can be found here: www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com

Here is the controller and pre-made 1998+ 4R70W plug in harness:

PCS.JPG

I am starting with a 38,000 mile 1998 v6 mustang 4R70W transmission. I have disassembled the entire transmission and will be completely overhauling/modifying it with the table full of parts below.

I decided to go with a late 2004 (updated) Mach 1 torque converter, Mach 1 flexplate, bolts and nuts. For the record, the 6 bolt cobra flexplate to crankshaft bolts are the same as the SC, so you could use the ARP bolt kit if you wanted. I test fit the flexplate and bolts to my spare SC engine on the stand and all fits well.

The 98 valve body will get a mild j-mod with accumulator springs left in, as well as all Sonnax updates/upgrades.

Friction count will be updated to OEM v8 specs, adding 1 intermediate clutch and 1 direct clutch over what the v6 trans came with by using v8 pressure plates. I feel this will be adequate for the 450 rwtq I plan to make with the new motor down the road, I could fit more direct frictions but don't feel its necessary.

All new solenoids, including a 5.4L truck high pressure EPC solenoid.

5.4L wave plate installed in forward clutch too.

2.7" OD servo with high load return spring (more apply force)

Shortest reverse servo to reduce drag, and a 3 plate reverse clutch instead of 4 to also reduce forward drag.

Solid one piece teflon rings for the direct clutch feed, had to buy a special tool to install and resize them, but these should work much better than the factory "scarf cut" seals.

All new torrington bearings, pump and tailshaft bushings, and metal clad seals.

Doesn't get any more thorough than this for the expected power level.

rebuild.JPG

rebuild 2.JPG

rebuild 3.JPG

For now, I found this tan leather 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII shifter assembly and cable in a junkyard. I also snagged the shift arm from inside of the transmission as the mustang one is shorter and won't work properly with the t-bird/Mark VII shifter. Nothing like laying in a cold muddy puddle with trans fluid dripping in your face on a 12 degree day :mad: The tan shifter actually sorta matches the titanium tweed/leather interior, but I can always find a black leather knob down the road. This will get me started.

shifter.JPG

For a driveshaft, I snagged a 1994 Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft from the junkyard for $15. Its the less desired 2 piece unit, but will work for now until I can get something better.

For a cooler, I went with the Derale Atomic Cool unit with fan. It is their largest stacked plate unit available, with 6an fittings (I will still be using my griffen 5 speed radiator, so this will be the only cooler for the trans). I also got 20ft of Aeroquip Socketless AN hose and fittings, including the special inverted flare fittings to adapt the AN line to the transmission case. Not shown in the picture below is a 180 degree fluid thermostat for the trans cooler circuit, with AN fittings. This will bypass the cooler until the fluid reaches 180 degrees, then will start flowing fluid through the cooler.

cooler.JPG

Currently I am in the middle of the transmission rebuild (waiting on ford for some snap rings to get clearances right) The trans should be completed 1/28/08, and ready for install in the car. The actual swap will take place Feb 16-24 (taking vacation time from work to work out all the bugs!).

What is interesting is this controller does not use a VSS sensor, it only uses the output shaft speed sensor, which actually allow me to customize a speedo output for whatever rear end gears and tire size I run. Right now the car has 3.27 gears, but 3.55 gears are on the shelf, with a detroit true track diff planned as well.

Stay tuned for more pics and updates.

Jeramie

Last edited:
You work for a well known computer company, yet you know all of this transmission stuff? I demand to know how! Thanks for documenting it!

You work for a well known computer company, yet you know all of this transmission stuff? I demand to know how! Thanks for documenting it!

Khaki pants and collared shirts by day, overalls and work gloves by night ;)

Still trying to figure out why I'm dumping 3 grand into a car I drive maybe 800 miles a year :confused:

and I keep doing it :confused: year after year for the past 10 years I've owned this thing. You would think I'd be done by now.

I actually spent LESS money when I had a girlfriend :eek:

Jeramie

Khaki pants and collared shirts by day, overalls and work gloves by night ;)

Still trying to figure out why I'm dumping 3 grand into a car I drive maybe 800 miles a year :confused:

and I keep doing it :confused: year after year for the past 10 years I've owned this thing. You would think I'd be done by now.

I actually spent LESS money when I had a girlfriend :eek:

Jeramie

Jeramie,

It's a sickness....take comfort knowing your not alone.

David

Jeramie,

What are you doing with the clutch pedal, etc? I've been toying with the idea of putting the M5R2 Trans from my 1990 Project car (about to get a T-56 hooked to a 4.6L DOHC) into my 1997 Daily Driver.

Nice Documentation so far. I'm planning on doing similar things when I start putting my project car back together.

Josh

Update 2/18/08

The 4R70W is in the car, and the 5 speed is removed.

Trans cooler and aeroquip lines are installed.

No electronics hooked up yet, but the car does go into reverse and 2nd gear (default when no electronics are present)

I will have to refit the exhaust, its close, but the downpipes don't clear the big transmission pan since I built it with a 5 speed originally. Stock auto pan would have fit. I was gonna drive it around the block, but its damn loud with open headers. :eek:

See updated pics. The trans cooler has a fluid thermostat that opens at about 180* since we have lots of drivable, but cold weather here in colorado. I also fitted the fan with a Delphi GT series weatherpack connector. These connectors are very nice for anyone looking to do a wiring project. I also had to move the horn to the side, it was in the way.

More updates later this week.

Jeramie

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,099
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,032
  • MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 980
  • MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,020
hmmm, thats exactly where I installed my tranny cooler. I actually mounted my horn in the front bumper :)

Looking good.

Thanks guys, its been a fun project despite the extra work (such as exhaust re-fitting)

For the record, the Mark VIII driveshaft does NOT properly fit a 3.8L car. The transmission brackets are also differnt from a 4.6 vs 3.8 car. The whole 3.8 trans/engine setup sits about 1" further back than the 4.6.

When I did a search there were some people who said yes and some who said no. So, for $15 I bought it and tried it. You could probably shove it into place if you tried, but then it would have no room to move on the slipyoke (still necessary for IRS cars, as the body does flex a bit)

I ended up getting a driveshaft, crossmember, and brackets out of a '97 3.8L T-bird base model, and it all bolted together perfectly. I will likely upgrade the driveshaft later when I do gears and install the forced lube mod, and when $$ is more plentiful.

More updates to come. And Kurt, I got the idea for the trans cooler from your pictures on your homepage. Thanks for that, if you're ever in Colorado I'll buy you a beer or something, haha :)

Jeramie

Update 2/20/08

Got the mig welder out today and was planning to re-work the exhaust downpipes to fit around the new 4R70W. Found out that my passenger side catalytic converter was partially melted and almost completely blocking the flow of exhaust. I'm sure this was from this summer when the fuel pressure regulator went out and I had to drive it home running rich as hell..

So I got rid of the cats and just welded some pipes on. Wow, the exhaust is a lot louder and crappier sounding without the cats.. :(

Put the front bumper back on (had it off to install trans cooler and t-stat.)

I have yet to finish installing the TCU.. Will finish tomorrow.

I did drive the car around without a computer. It defaults to max line pressure and only has reverse and 2nd gear as a "limp home" feature if your computer ever goes out.. Everything works, no fluid leaks. I lowered the idle for this test so the car wouldn't smack into gear too hard.

I wanted to drive it and make sure it was ok since we are supposed to get snow tonight.

Tomorrow afternoon I expect to have the car running with the computer controlling the transmission. I'll post updates and eventually a video.

Jeramie

Car is DONE!! WOO HOO

I absolutely freakin love having a fully controllable automatic in the car!!

Everything right down to the TCU turning on the auxilary trans cooler fan works PERFECTLY!!!

Shifts are VERY comfortable and soft at part throttle, unnoticable unless you looked at the tach or listen to the exhaust.

Full throttle almost put me in the ditch on the 2-1 downshift, and then again on the 1-2 upshift. It shifts very quick and firm at WOT, but not hard enough where things are gonna break.

Still no traction in 1st gear, even with 3.27 gears.

It took me all of 5 minutes of playing with the pulses per mile function to get the speedo DEAD on.

This is a success for me in two ways. First, this was my first high performance 4R70W I've ever built (built a few stockers).. Everything mechanhically, hydraulically, and electronically turned out flawless. No leaks, no slipping, just a perfectly functioning specimen..

Second, was the wiring. I am a neat freak, like to solder and heatshrink every connection if possible.

It was a fun project, but I've got well over 200 hours of my own labor into everything including the transmission rebuild. Much much more if you count all the trips to the junkyard and time spent researching and buying the parts.

I've owned this car for nearly 10 years, and this is by far my MOST favorite thing I've ever done to it.

Jeramie

Last edited:
Sounds great. Do you have anymore pictures of the process? I don't need them now, but I may in the future.

Yes, I have a few pics that I need to upload, but I left my camera over at the garage.

Kurt, you had mentioned before that the baummanater that you tried to use was slipping due to the low rpm tq of the SC motor, right?

NOT the case with this setup. I even commanded shifts at 3,500 rpm, no slip..

This transmission's valve body is pretty mild. I set it up similar to the "mild" j-mod seperator plate hole sizes, but left the factory 3.8 mustang 1-2 springs in.

On the TCU, the main line pressure is measured in duty cycle. 0% duty cycle is full line pressure, 100% duty cycle is minimum line pressure (kinda opposite of what you would expect) The car gets sideways, even considering the mild valve body, at only 33% duty cycle. I have much more each way to play with.

Kurt, if you decide to do this, don't be hesitant to give me a call. I can save you a LOT of time. If I had to do this again, I could do it in much less time.

Jeramie

Back