couple Questions/ 140 speedo and exaust

shawpdx1

ok , got me 2 magnaflows from the bone yard for $10.00 great price!! brand new, fresh kill . I think I read that people were using a exaust for a resonator? if not thats ok I'll just grab I high flow one, after installing this is it safe to put on a 5% pully on the super charger? the other question is I found a 93 SHO in there with the 140 speedo looks the same will it work? thanks TED

No, the SHO speedo won't work. Its a cable driven speedo. The SC uses an electronic speedo.

Just replacing the resonator alone should be good enough for a 5% pulley if you have an early model (89-93) SC.. The resonator back exhaust isn't really that bad.

If you have a late model SC (94-95) I would try and find a stock 89-93 supercharger pulley, which will overdrive the 94-95 blower 3%.

Jeramie,
Thanks for the info. I have a 92. yours is a perfect specimen, has the perfect profile at every angle. well my search continues for the speedo. so your saying when I put the magnaflows on and resonator I'll be ok for the 5%? BTW how do they sound My 4.3 v6 sounds real good with the magnaflow thanks Ted

Last edited:
I think it sounds pretty good.

5% you'll be fine if you replace the factory resonator, that's the worst part of the exhaust.

Jeramie

I think it sounds pretty good.

5% you'll be fine if you replace the factory resonator, that's the worst part of the exhaust.

Jeramie

Wait, I thought the Cats with the 90 angle were the worst part of the exhaust, from any year?.

Do you have the High Flow Cats installed already?.. or removed?

no still have the cats, can remove but wont pass DEQ tags expire next month. I was trying to figure out a way to be able to remove for the 2 years I have to worry about DEQ but have them to reinstall for inspection every 2 years. Ideas? Also the 145 speedo form a XRZ will be a direct swap for a bird?

Wait, I thought the Cats with the 90 angle were the worst part of the exhaust, from any year?.

No, although the cats aren't the best, they maintain 2" all the way through.

The outlet on the resonator is less than 2" for BOTH combined exhaust banks.

For the record, I made 321.5 rwhp and 393.7 rwtq on stock cats and downtubes with just a resonator replacement.

After adding SCP mid length headers and a true dual 2.5" magnaflow exhaust, I dynoed 330.5 rwhp and 402.8 rwtq peak, but made considerably more power above the torque peak.

Jeramie

The resonator is teh largest restriction by far followed by the cat setup. The back half of the exhaust isnt nearly as bad.

A great upgrade for you now would be a 93 and up gas tank to better route your new exhaust even if you are keeping the front half. SC's run real clean even with upgraded front half exhausts with high flow cats. Ive passed without cats but I wont reccomend tryingh that

well I have it up on stands, putting the centerforce in I could do a gas tank swap while I have it up , so the 92 has the old style tank? I think right now Im just going to get the resonator and put the magnaflows on w/ the 5% underdrive I think I'll be ok. this summer I'll get the bigger fuel pump, cats etc thanks for the info Ted

well I have it up on stands, putting the centerforce in I could do a gas tank swap while I have it up , so the 92 has the old style tank? I think right now Im just going to get the resonator and put the magnaflows on w/ the 5% underdrive I think I'll be ok. this summer I'll get the bigger fuel pump, cats etc thanks for the info Ted

No need to change the tank. 92 and up are the same. Damon is probably confusing it with the spindles - 93 and up allow for brake uprades.
Mike

Ahh sorry dude. I actually thought the tanks were the same till 92. My buddies 92 had the older style. Perhaps early 92 had the older version?

Regardless if the exhaust wraps around the tank its an older style..If it more or less goes through the middle a newer style!

Ahh sorry dude. I actually thought the tanks were the same till 92. My buddies 92 had the older style. Perhaps early 92 had the older version?

Regardless if the exhaust wraps around the tank its an older style..If it more or less goes through the middle a newer style!

Anything's possible with Ford. My 91 has the 70mm MAF instead of the 55mm.
Mike

Really on the break upgrade? does it have the same bolt pattern? what do I need just the calipers and rotors? the one at the junk yard is a 93, does it have the better Super charger as well or is that 94 and up? it has red colored injectors was wondering how big those were thanks TEd

93+ t-bird/cougar/Mark VIII spindles will allow you to run any of the aftermarket or factory brake combo's that 94+ mustangs can use.

Make sure you get the spindles from a car that had anti-lock brakes so you can re-attach your abs sensor.

I have 2004 Mustang Mach 1 dual piston brakes on my car with 13" brembo rotors. Same brakes as the cobra, except they don't say cobra on them. You need 17" or larger wheels for the bigger brakes. But the 99+ v6 and GT (no cobra) mustang has dual piston calipers and uses the same size rotors as the SC. I ran those for awhile with stock rotors and they worked very well too. Plus the 99+ non-cobra brakes fit under stock wheels.

Red top injectors = 30lb/hr @ 39.5 psi stock fuel pressure (31.5 lb/hr @ 43 psi)
Blue top injectors = 36lb/hr @ 39.5 psi stock fuel pressure (38 lb/hr @ 43 psi)

Red top = 89-93 SC
Blue top = 94-95 SC

Old supercharger = 89-93 SC
New supercharger = 94-95 SC

Hope this helps.

Jeramie

Last edited:
Back