she's dead...help please

matt4that

Ok I've got a 1992 5-speed SC that has completely died on me. It started about three weeks ago I came out tried to start her up and it was a slow w...w...ww turn of the engine which then went to a click of the starter. The dash lights were dim as well as the head lights. I figure its the starter, so I take it to advanced and buy a new one throw it in then I get nothing. I take that starter back put in the old one and again got nothing. NO power whatsoever. Then I think alternator have that checked out and they say its ok and since then I've replaced the starter relay, battery, battery cables, ignition switch, ignition cylinder switch all with no change. I have a voltimeter, but don't know where else to go with this NO Power issue. Any ideas what could be causing this?? Or where else to go with it??

P.S. I checked the ignition coil and its getting power and yes I did search through the various threads for help.;)

You might have a poor ground connection between the engine block and the battery. Temporarily connect a jumper cable between the negative terminal of the battery and the engine block and see if the engine turns over fast when you operate the starter.

Ok I've got a 1992 5-speed SC that has completely died on me. It started about three weeks ago I came out tried to start her up and it was a slow w...w...ww turn of the engine which then went to a click of the starter. The dash lights were dim as well as the head lights. I figure its the starter, so I take it to advanced and buy a new one throw it in then I get nothing. I take that starter back put in the old one and again got nothing. NO power whatsoever. Then I think alternator have that checked out and they say its ok and since then I've replaced the starter relay, battery, battery cables, ignition switch, ignition cylinder switch all with no change. I have a voltimeter, but don't know where else to go with this NO Power issue. Any ideas what could be causing this?? Or where else to go with it??

P.S. I checked the ignition coil and its getting power and yes I did search through the various threads for help.;)

Try this

Charge up the battery it may be new but could also be junk check volts than connect battery if it turns over quick than looses charge quick its the battery have it checked with a load on it. Next at full charge let it sit connected check volts 2 hrs latter if its drained you got open cercut draining it sounds more like a battey problem

most of what I've done so far needed to be done and they were only 5 or 10 dollar parts besides the battery. I've tested the ignition coil and the DIS along with the starter/alternator connections. The battery is juiced. Its got 13.5V on it. I've replaced the negative terminal that grounds to the body at the frame. What is that piece that runs off the negative terminal that grounds to the frame? The guys as advanced looked at me like I was crazy when I tried to explain it.:) I'll try the jumper cable thing. Thanks guys. She hasn't cranked or had any sign of power in three weeks. It has been driving me crazy.:rolleyes:

most of what I've done so far needed to be done and they were only 5 or 10 dollar parts besides the battery. I've tested the ignition coil and the DIS along with the starter/alternator connections. The battery is juiced. Its got 13.5V on it. I've replaced the negative terminal that grounds to the body at the frame. What is that piece that runs off the negative terminal that grounds to the frame? The guys as advanced looked at me like I was crazy when I tried to explain it.:) I'll try the jumper cable thing. Thanks guys. She hasn't cranked or had any sign of power in three weeks. It has been driving me crazy.:rolleyes:

igntion switch maybe???

nevermind it said its replaced

Last edited:
have you checked the starter solenoid? This is what the positive battery terminal goes to. If you have power coming from the battery, this is just a matter of narrowing the problem down. You can use something conductive to jump the two terminals that will bypass the solenoid to start the vehicle if needed. It seems wierd that you would still have no power at all to anything with everything hooked up though. Originally it sounded like you had a battery that was going dead, now it seems like you don't have the negative battery terminal grounded, or you need to really clean the mating surface to get a good ground back to the block.

Just a matter of finding where you are not getting power. Can you hook a volt meter up, the positive to the battery, the negative to somewhere on the engine and get 12volts? If you see 12 volts then you are grounded ok to the engine. All it takes is a good ground and 12 volts to the starter wire side of the starter solenoid to make the engine turn over if you jump the terminals of the solenoid.

Last edited:
have you checked the starter solenoid? This is what the positive battery terminal goes to. If you have power coming from the battery, this is just a matter of narrowing the problem down. You can use something conductive to jump the two terminals that will bypass the solenoid to start the vehicle if needed. It seems wierd that you would still have no power at all to anything with everything hooked up though. Originally it sounded like you had a battery that was going dead, now it seems like you don't have the negative battery terminal grounded, or you need to really clean the mating surface to get a good ground back to the block.

Just a matter of finding where you are not getting power. Can you hook a volt meter up, the positive to the battery, the negative to somewhere on the engine and get 12volts? If you see 12 volts then you are grounded ok to the engine. All it takes is a good ground and 12 volts to the starter wire side of the starter solenoid to make the engine turn over if you jump the terminals of the solenoid.

solenoid was replaced still nada I think I called it the starter relay however I don't know where to pick up that negative to the radiator ground?! I went to advanced (the closest parts store to me) and they looked at me like I was dumb.:rolleyes:

check clutch switch it wont start if its broken and they slip out sometimes .

try running a screw driver across the solinoid at fender with car in neutral and hand brake on does it crank? run screw driver from post to post it should crank if not its starter solinoid at starter maybe a bad positive cable?

If I'm not mistaken, the return path (negative connection) between the starter motor and the battery is from the starter motor to the engine block, from the engine block to the frame, and from the frame to the negative battery terminal. You have replaced the cable between the frame and the negative terminal. The second connection which is between the engine block and the frame might be poor, which will introduce a high electrical resistance and cause the starter motor to turn slowly. This is why I suggested temporarily using a jumper cable. You can connect the cable between the frame and the block or between the block and the battery.
Alternatively, the positive connection to the starter could be bad. This path is from the positive battery terminal to one of the large terminals on the starter relay on the fender, and from the other large terminal on the relay to the starter motor. Here too, if one of these connections is bad, the starter will turn slowly.

i just bought the whole negative cable since mine was messed up anyways , it comes with the small ground , and the actual battery cable hooks to the drivers engine mount. you'll see it

thanks guys I'll give those ideas a try and have an update for ya'll by this weekend...wish me luck *crosses fingers*

First Problem Is Advance Auto They Check Nothing Under A Loadand Tell You Is Ok.i Agree On The Battery Unhook Neg Side And Tuch Neg Post With Cable,on And Off Or Rub A Little If Arks On Post Live Short.if Not Like Manny Said Replace Sylinoid On Fender.

Update:

So, I replaced the wires that run from the starter to the relay selinoid and still have no power at all. I'm guessing grounds next?? Ideas?

did you test anything to make sure that replacing the wires would help?

get a volt ohm meter, the wiring diagram, and start testing things. That's the only way to find the real problem.

Do the headlights shine brightly?? If not try to boost it from another vehicle. and check the hedlights. The engine will not turn over until there is enough power from the battery. That power has to power all lights. Get to the bottom of the power issue first.

Back