brake pedal chattering?

sinhumane

i've been experiencing a problem with my 95 sc 5-speed giving me pedal feedback. it feels like it does when the abs kicks on, like sliding on ice.. but i'm on dry pavement...

its started doing it with even light pedal application, clutch in or out... i topped it off with brake fluid, and i still have the problem.

when it does this, its kindof a groaning noise.. but not mechanical.. kinda like rubber sliding on something... and the pedal is kicking back at me.. its 'chattering'

any ideas? i dont feel safe driving it if the abs is going to crap on me... or will i be alright if it does, since its not an integrated system like the older ones?

EDIT: i'm also getting an intermittent red 'brake' light on my dash.. totally random.

yeah... its like a groaning, then a chattering at the pedal...and my brake light comes on... its very random... but scares teh bejesus outta me... :eek:

i'm thinking a sensor is malfunctioning... am i on the right track?

I would check the sensor rings to make sure they are not damaged or cracked. Usually if a sensor is bad, it will set a code.

I had this happen on my 95 Cougar, and it was the pump/motor or whatever.
However, roll down the window and listen to see if you can hear it grinding.

Tyler - with the brake light - double check your brake fluid is up to par. May not sure the problem, but MIGHT be your brake light?

-Melon

Along with the sensor idea, got to a HOT car wash & shoot the inside of your wheels as to remove any ice/mud that could be froze to the teeth/rings.
do this in the daytime & go drive down the freeway so it can dry & not refreeze.

i think i fixed it... stnad by for updates.. but the master cylinder res. was a tad low... i topped it off, drove it for a day, topped it off again.. seems better.. the brake light hasnt come on at all.

not it.. i got a solid abs light, along with it activating at random times... so i decided to pull the fuse.. i'll figure it out another day. any ideas? :confused:

my rear brakes are making an awful lot of racket.. not squealing.. grinding. :eek:

and this is only after taking my abs fuse out...

Dude,

If the pads were worn too far to cause metal contact or excess heat, you should have the rotors turned or you may see premature pad wear. If the rotors have high and low spots they will burn through the new pads fairly quick.

Back