Stupid Question about Heat Wrap

Dahoopd

Would it be stupid to put a layer between the SC and intake manifold to prevent more heat to the SC. I know very little and this question may show it, by all means slap me through the pc but why wouldnt it help.

You can wrap headers to keep heat in, couldnt you do this to keep the engine heat from adding to the blower.

Would it be stupid to put a layer between the SC and intake manifold to prevent more heat to the SC. I know very little and this question may show it, by all means slap me through the pc but why wouldnt it help.

You can wrap headers to keep heat in, couldnt you do this to keep the engine heat from adding to the blower.

Bad thought

If you put a layer between the SC and intake manifold it will trap the heat in the intake its best to not to put anything between them

Last edited:
Best off letting the aluminum shed the heat then trying to isolate the intake from the blower. Also I am not so sure wrapping the return IC tube is a good or bad idea however adding a thermoreflective insulated tape to the portion of it facing the exhaust manifolds cant be such a bad idea.

On that note coating the factory manifolds (inside and out) with a real thermal coating such as offered from swaintech would be a good idea. I'm not talking the nice shiny standard jethot coating either. I'd rather put my money there at reducing underhood temps and heat soak into the IC tubes.

Last edited:
I only asked because going through endless searches to find out what to do to my car blower wise. There are so many threads pointing to heat in regards to the blower. I am sure it was a dumb question but I had to ask.

Not a dumb question at all. Keeping the lower IC tube from absorbing exhaust manifold heat or preventing teh exhaust manifolds from giving off excess heat are where I would look however for what you are indirectly trying to ask for or achieve

Your blower generates as much as 350+ deg of heat so when the blower is working it is the biggest source of heat. If you measure blower temps with the hood closed you will find that it typically is about the same temp as everything else under the hood so any type of insulation efforts on the blower itself will be lost.

Cast iron manifolds do not give off that much heat. If you want to wrap your return tube with heat reflective material that would be beneficial but to what degree I cannot say. Coating the manifolds may have some effect also but what would the return for your $ be? I'm going to wager a guess that its very small. Your money would be better spent re-routing the tube away from the exhaust in the first place as reflective heat wrap is expensive and any insulation will hamper the tube's ability to dissipate heat.

Back