AC conversion

90redsc

In the spring I will be converting the AC to 134 syatem. All parts will be new with the exception of the lines, which are only 1 yr and are in great shape. My question
1) I understand that all the parts are the same with possibly execption of the seals on the lines. Am Icorrect and if so what type do I need to ge?
2) any place where I can get a kit that containes and that i would need to charge including the oil?

Any other items I should be award of>

Thanks

The old PAG oil that came with R134 wasn't friendly with rubber seals, I think they needed butyl, but anyway that has supposedly changed long ago.

I have converted well over a dozen cars to 134, nothing special, just evacuate the system after replacing the tap adapters, then charge it up with the the kits they sell. These include the PAG oil needed for the 134.

I've NEVER had a leak or failure, only nice cold air and usually colder than before which contradicts what I was taught in class.

Do not forget to pull a Vaccume!! you need a set of gages & a Vac. pump if you dont vac it down you will sweat later & curse the system!

I use engine vacumme, I tap into the intake manifold start the engine & let it pull down.

If you don't want to mess with all that then order a charge kit of ES-12a no vac required no chages to the system, just add the refrigerant to 40 oz equivilant & thats it you will be the coldest car in town.

Last edited:
You will need to remove all the old oil from the system and replace the accumulator with a new one {drier}. If you research my old posts I have written a lot on retrofitting to R134a. I am ASE certified and ran an A/C shop for 8 years. Its something that has to be done the right way or it may not work as efficiently as it should.

Do not forget to pull a Vaccume!! you need a set of gages & a Vac. pump if you dont vac it down you will sweat later & curse the system!

I use engine vacumme, I tap into the intake manifold start the engine & let it pull down.

If you don't want to mess with all that then order a charge kit of ES-12a no vac required no chages to the system, just add the refrigerant to 40 oz equivilant & thats it you will be the coldest car in town.

Are you kidding? Thats cool but I thought you needed a lot more vac to boil out any moisture.

20 in. will do it IF you can't get a vac. pump that's an alternative. Vac pump will get you 28-30.

How are you hooking it up to the system? Low pressure valve? Thanks

Gages, use the middle port/service line, use a rubber hose to connect to the gage line then to your intake manifold port IE PVC or the like & have your low side port connected to the A/C system via your gages & start the car & open the valve & work it from there.

Back