Changing Fuel Pump

hytorksc

I saw somewhere in this forum that someone may or has tried cutting a hole thru the metal under the back seat to install a new fuel pump without having to drop the tank to change it.

Is this possible to do without messing up anything? Would it be very dangerous to do this cutting so close to the fuel tank? Has anyone in this community done this safely? If so please tell me how to do it.

thanks-

i thought it would be easier to access it. i have a hyundai (unfortunately) as a 2nd car and getting to the FP is just a matter of taking the back seat off and removing the rubber cap to access it. it seems alot faster without having to worry about draining the gas tank.

it aint that hard to drain your gas tank. just drive till its almost empty, then put a jack under it before you unbolt it and lower it with the jack. its kinda time comsuming but hellova better way then to go drilling a 3 inch hole in your car

that does make more sense-

i only have to do this maybe once, so i need to just drop the fuel tank and do it.

thanks-

Check out a couple of repair manuals to get a GOOD idea about where u need to cut. Carefully drill 4 half inch holes at the corners and then use a hacksaw blade to connect the dots. Fuel pump change is now a piece of cake. When you're done, secure it with a few metal tabs and some sheet metal screws. Seal it with rtv and be done with it. As soon as you think u only need to change it once, you'll need to do it again.

Back