difficult to turn wheel

terpsfan88

Just a couple months ago I noticed my steering wheel was getting hard to turn when pulling in and out of a parking space. It sounded like I needed to get my steering pump replaced and I just got it replaced by my mechanic. Brand new pump but same problem, the wheel is difficult to turn. What other problems could be causing this?? Any help is appreciated...

I changed a leaking steering rack on my 93 LX once and after changing the rack the vehicle was tough to turn. Ended up being a problem in the new rack. A large leak or air in the system could cause the same problem.

Last edited:
Power steering rack is the culprit. An old one failed I replaced it with a reman one and that one failed two seconds after installation. Chased the problem for the longest time. And finnally I got a used in good condition one and got my steering back to normal.
Beware of remans you might have to do it twice. Pumps are usually good unless they start to whine alot. means that they just about had it.
Sounds like your problem is in the rack.

There could also be some other issues. It could be several things, like a binding ball joint, a binding tie rod end, or worn out steering column bearings.

Stop trying to turn into parking spaces while your car is not running. Do not turn it off until you have parked. This will make it easier.

Chris

Stop trying to turn into parking spaces while your car is not running. Do not turn it off until you have parked. This will make it easier.

Chris

Really? I dont think anyone that drives a supercoupe is stupid enough to try and park w/o the car running. Thanks for the great advice though!!

Just a couple months ago I noticed my steering wheel was getting hard to turn when pulling in and out of a parking space. It sounded like I needed to get my steering pump replaced and I just got it replaced by my mechanic. Brand new pump but same problem, the wheel is difficult to turn. What other problems could be causing this?? Any help is appreciated...

You could have a bad EVO actuator on the PS pump. When the connector at the EVO actuator is unplugged you should have full power assist. If the wheel is still hard to turn, then your problem lies somewhere else.

Back