PDA

View Full Version : Finally got XM radio.

Mike Puckett
01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
I bought a Delphi Roady XT with car kit off of ebay for $38 including the shipping. I'm using the Sureconnect cable in the CTS and the plug in cassette adapter in the 35th. Atlanta radio stations are so bad I never listen to any of them. Now I've got 3 jazz channels, 70, 71, & 72 to choose from plus all the other stuff they've got. The 3 year subscription for $360 looked like the best deal. The Roady is a great little unit and sounds great even with the Sureconnect cable stuck up on the windshield antenna. Finally, I've got some music to listen to in the cars.

A1cntrler
01-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I have had XM since it first came available. I love it. I did like it more when NASCAR was on XM still, but Sirius bought that. I liked not having to search for the races on Sundays while I was out riding around, and also the call in shows were great.

I am still kind of torn on what to do in my 35th when I get it on the road. I am leaning towards trying out HD Radio since I could keep all of the equip. hidden out of sight and keep the stock appearance. Might craft the tuner control into the ashtray so it isn't visible when the ash tray lid is closed. Did something similar in my wifes car so she could have XM a while back before they made an XM tuner that integrated with her factory Navigation.

I find myself listening to channel 173. The wife hates it and changes it whenever she gets into my Sport Trac. It is the AM station 700 WLW from OH. I like listening to the discussions on there. I guess that is a sign that I am getting old...talk radio.... I am 30...should I really be at that stage already??? lol

KwikGSeX
01-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Im a Sirius fan.. The dance music and comedy stations IMO are better than XM even though "some" people might disagree (they have been trying to get me to switch over to XM NO WAY BUDDY!! :D) Plus it was available as an option in my Highlander and my Mercedes so I have full steering wheel controls and text on the nav and speedo display.. I think I only listen to Sirius and my iPod.. Regular radio is out for me.. Havent listened to it in about 3 years..

Anyone who does not own Satellite radio.. Yes it is worth the $13 a month, yes you will get hooked on it no matter Sirius or XM and yes you will stop listening to regular radio even for the traffic (I dont know how it is on XM but a station on Sirius give you traffic and weather every 30 seconds)

SUPERMN12
01-26-2008, 10:30 AM
XM81 BPM, DJ Armando 4 Life!!!

XR7 Dave
01-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Don't ask me where I heard this but Sirius and XM will likely merge in the not-so-distant future which will be a good thing for everyone. I have XM and while it's not the "end all" I sure do appreciate it and it's worth the money.

KwikGSeX
01-26-2008, 11:10 AM
XM81 BPM, DJ Armando 4 Life!!!

What happened to DJ Tiesto?

Mike Puckett
01-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I believe the merger is a done deal. Apparently Sirius has some sirius:D financial problems and the merger will bail them out. I'm interested to see how they combine the 2 systems w/o obsoleteing anybody. I'm a little concerned about repetitveness of the music. My Comcast music channels on cable play the same stuff over and over again every 2-3 days, booorrrrriiing. I like to hear fresh stuff all the time. Considering that every music album has 10 to 16 tunes on it the supply should be close to infinite. I hate talk radio so none of that interests me but I'll definitely checkout the comedy channels. I love good standup routines.

XR7 Dave
01-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I believe the merger is a done deal. Apparently Sirius has some sirius:D financial problems and the merger will bail them out. I'm interested to see how they combine the 2 systems w/o obsoleteing anybody. I'm a little concerned about repetitveness of the music. My Comcast music channels on cable play the same stuff over and over again every 2-3 days, booorrrrriiing. I like to hear fresh stuff all the time. Considering that every music album has 10 to 16 tunes on it the supply should be close to infinite. I hate talk radio so none of that interests me but I'll definitely checkout the comedy channels. I love good standup routines.

The merger is not a done deal until the FTC approves it. The "deal" was agreed to last year but as far as I know it is waiting on the the government approval.

Both Sirius and XM are in financial trouble if they cannot merge. As for hardware they have a plan for that but I forget the details. The last thing either of them want is to lose a customer because of a hardware issue.

I find that even XM can be repetitious at times. I have about 10 preferred stations that I find myself flipping between and there are times when I can't find anything I want to hear but overall I am happy. It has "encouraged" me to broaden my musical horizons because there are so many options.

rzibilske77
01-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I bought a Delphi Roady XT with car kit off of ebay for $38 including the shipping. I'm using the Sureconnect cable in the CTS and the plug in cassette adapter in the 35th. Atlanta radio stations are so bad I never listen to any of them. Now I've got 3 jazz channels, 70, 71, & 72 to choose from plus all the other stuff they've got. The 3 year subscription for $360 looked like the best deal. The Roady is a great little unit and sounds great even with the Sureconnect cable stuck up on the windshield antenna. Finally, I've got some music to listen to in the cars.

i have sirius, and i definatley cant live without it on the road, thats where i spend 75% of my time and in different cities everyday.
they have a "lifetime" plan available now for 399.00...........that a deal now:)

Mike Puckett
01-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow, that is a deal. XM has a 4 and 5 year subscription but they're at the same discount rate. Dave, I can't see the FCC not approving the merger as it could mean the demise of one or both services if not approved.

rzibilske77
01-26-2008, 08:43 PM
http://www.sirius.com/getsirius/plans lifetime:eek:

frdlvr30
01-26-2008, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=rzibilske77;706292]http://www.sirius.com/getsirius/plans lifetime:eek:[/QUOTE
I will have to get the lifetime. My subscription is up soon. I agree with everyone that once you go satellite you never listen to local radio anymore.
I guess my concern would be getting the lifetime membership and them going under shortly after that. I have noticed a lot of repeat broadcasts, especially on channel 8.

92strokedbird
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Bought the Stiletto2 and paid for the lifetime deal.I signed up thru a friend of mine in the us so that i can get the college games and when the merger takes place i will get the extra chanels since they will be one in the us.In Canada the crtc will keep them separate,it is the best musical purchase ever.

XR7 Dave
01-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Dave, I can't see the FCC not approving the merger as it could mean the demise of one or both services if not approved.Well, they've been holding up the deal for about a year now. Satellite radio claims that they are competing head to head with internet radio, digital FM, Ipods, etc. moreso than with each other Me, I agree with that position.

BTW, it's not the FCC, its the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The claim is that the merger could create a monopoly in the marketplace.

quicktsi
01-27-2008, 02:10 AM
I have both right now. The wifes new Acura TL has XM, while I inherited her Pioneer Avic D2 with Sirius. I like Sirius way more, seems like I can usually find a station and just listen. I find myself flipping channels on XM trying to find something. Sirius does seem to replay songs often, since we have it at work and listen at least 8 hours a day. XM does not seem to repeat as often, but instead plays odd stuff and b sides etc. I would like to see the merger so XM can get better programming and Sirius get better hardware behind the scenes.

fast Ed
01-27-2008, 02:38 PM
The new demo I'm driving has satellite radio, Ford Canada seems to be aligned with Sirius at this point. So I'm enjoying satellite radio for the first time. Mine is set on channel 22, "First Wave" ... all the classic alternative stuff for an oldster like me. :D

cheers
Ed N.

91 XR7
01-27-2008, 02:52 PM
I've been tempted to get a Sirius plug and play setup for my car (Alpine) But right now, i've been having too much fun with my Ipod :)

But i like the P&P setup since i can have one unit for the Home, Car and Work, and be able to control the Sat radio via the controls on my Head unit (IE the Sat radio can be plugged into it's `dock' in the glove box or center console)