worried about exaust!!!!

shawpdx1

Ive listened to some of these exaust systems and they sound like a bumble bee I DONT WANT THAT! Freaks me out man! can someone tell me how to get the right sound? my chev is a 4.3 v-6 with just a magnaflow and it sounds like a little v-8 thanks does anyone have some videos with sound that I can hear. thanks

Well, I have heard several chevy v6's and they do sound pretty good,especially the grand nationals....I heard one with some hooker aerochambers...THE best sound I have ever heard out of a v-6,dont know if they had heads,cam etc.,if somone told you it was a v-8, you would beleive them...so i thought about those muffs on my car.On my car i have a magnaflow resonator(if anything, run a res.) to 2.5 mandrel split to dual tips with no muffs, I like it, but u can tell its a v-6 , no bumble bee(again from running NO resonator) but no deep v-8 tone. a little loud when it drones. right now I just have a turn down right after the resonator, for tranny swap purposes, and I like the volume and sound, but the drone is way too much , I think with a magnaflow resonator, and some aerochambers? or a turbo style muffler with pipes exiting the car... would be perfect.I like the sound of only a resonator, if you do ANYTHING put a res. on. the bumble bee rice you hear, I can guarantee is a car without a res.I tried my car without a res. and turned it back off in 2 seconds.....I say if you run anything, run a res. also I hear cats are good for sound....wow , too long

'95 5 speed SC with flowmaster cat-back kit and hollow cats:

flowmaster

My '92 SC. SCP mid-length headers, 2.5" downtubes with high flow cats, magnaflow muffler as resonator, magnaflow rear mufflers (all 2.5" dual pipe, see attachment for photo of exhaust) I build this a few years ago right when I was first learning to weld. I plan to re-do it with something even quieter eventually.

magnaflow

Jeramie

Attachments

• exhaust1.JPG
    exhaust1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
yeah I though I read about using the muffler as a resonator. that's the way I'm going. What series magnaflow did you use for the resonator? thanks I did not want a rice burner sound. and I'm serious about my 4.3 its basically a small block just missing 2 cylinders it has a nice deep idle not obnoxious and at acceleration has a nice deep tone. once again Jeramie comes through! thanks to both of you TED

I have:

2.5" true duals/X pipe/19" Borlas out back. W/cats

I would never look back after doing this setup. After hearing GDavenports, I knew thats what wanted.

If your going just mufflers, you really need something around 19"'s.

I've used 2 cherry bomb straight threw mufflers where the cats would be, no resonator only 'Y' pipe then to 2 Flowmasters. Also on my other SC I took out the cats, and just put pipe in its place, then took out the resonator and installed a cherry bomb short muffler ( dual in, single out ) then out to 2 flow masters. Both ways were cheap and easy and both sound very deep. The second way was the deepest of the two under wide open throttle.I've gotten many complimants from these sounds from other SC'ers. They both sound deeper than a V8, and because of no cats, theres almost no back pressure, which means more power.

But of course less torque...

Off the line I get better torque with my mufflers on vs. open pipe after resonator.

i've got gutted cats, 2 1/2 duals into a cherry bomb 2 1/2" DI/DO baffled resonator, to 2 1/2" dumped out the side.

<a href='http://media.putfile.com/exhaust-36-97'>Exhaust

Last edited:
thanks for the info. I just picked up some magnaflow cats and got the magnaflow exhaust for the resonator with magnaflows for rear. will let you know how this sounds should be good. might be awhile doing a lot of stuff to it right now brake upgrade, centerforce clutch, guess I need to find some cobra rotors and dual calipers, will have her on the road by summer. bought a 93 motor to build so I think I'll be picking Jeramie's brain thanks Ted

ted that should sound decent. Cats make a huge difference in sound quality and with a resonator and mufflers you should be good to go.

Personally the x pipe only was to much for me.

Good luck!

Last edited:
thanks for the info. I just picked up some magnaflow cats and got the magnaflow exhaust for the resonator with magnaflows for rear. will let you know how this sounds should be good. might be awhile doing a lot of stuff to it right now brake upgrade, centerforce clutch, guess I need to find some cobra rotors and dual calipers, will have her on the road by summer. bought a 93 motor to build so I think I'll be picking Jeramie's brain thanks Ted

That should sound pretty good but it will be on the quite side

Comes with the territory. They don't call them buzzin' half dozens for nothin. My 93 gets that v6 buzz about 2500rpms-3200 rpms but at Idle and wide open throttle it sounds good. 2.5 to 3 to 2.5 with dynomax ultra flows, no resonator.

Yeah I dont want it real loud just noticable. if you click on Jeramies link were it says magnaflow you can here it sounds just right thanks Ted

Ted, what size mufflers did you get?

If I had it to do over, I would angle the rear mufflers and put even longer ones on. Don't get me wrong, my exhaust isn't loud currently, I just like really QUIET exhaust systems.

If I could make an exhaust system as quiet as stock, that flowed well enough to support the power I'm making I'd do it in a heartbeat!

When I first built the exhaust, I didn't put cats in. Even with the resonator and mufflers it was a bit buzzy (not bad but noticable). The cats really mellowed it out. Good choice to go with cats.

Jeramie

Jeramie,
I got 13" rear and 13" for resonator.

That will be a bit louder than mine. I used 13" rear mufflers but an 18" resonator.

I plan to re-do the back half with 22" mufflers (angled) and keep the 18" resonator to quiet it down even more.

Another local SC'er has your setup on stock manifolds. It is louder than mine, but not too bad.

Jeramie

I'll just go get the 18" muffler for the RES. I also Like it quiet, just a little tone just enough to tell that its free flowing.

Back