Burning plastic smell out of vents?

johnwartjr

Car is a 95 SC/auto, ~125k stock.

The last week or so, I've noticed a smell coming out of the interior vents and outside the car when the defroster is running. Smells like burning plastic.

Where would you start troubleshooting this?

Is it only with the defroster on, or will it happen with the climate control in any vent setting? Hows your heater core? See any steam or is the window fogging and staying that way?

It happened once with the A/C on, but was right after the defroster debacle. I can try some other settings and report back.

It's been very cold in Indiana this week, and my wife had our Son on Tuesday, so I've not felt like rolling around under the car to look around ;)

Where is the heater core on my SC? Somewhere I can get a good look at easily?

I don't see any steam, but my car does use a little coolant here and there. I had the radiator repaired last year after a small leak that had been weeping for months finally gave out. Had hoped that would fix it, but it did not.

I'm mechanically and technically inclined, just don't 'know' the SC that well.

Car is a 95 SC/auto, ~125k stock.

The last week or so, I've noticed a smell coming out of the interior vents and outside the car when the defroster is running. Smells like burning plastic.

Where would you start troubleshooting this?

I would check it out, same thing kinda just happend to me and my climate control wouldnt work for a little while now my car is fd up:(

I don't think you will be able to see it easily. You could also have something going on under the hood. Check and see if it goes away with the AC set to max, which will close the door to the outside air. If so, I would suspect something ouside of the car.

Could be a few things. Mine had this problem when the electric fan went out. The blower motor I'm sure could do it as well. My climate control unit went bad once and it didn't do that it just wouldn't turn off at all.
Alan

I had that happen to one of my Subaru's, and it turned out to be some thick plastic wrap that got stuck to the exhaust system.....

Back