reverse tensioner spring.

SC Spyder

I understand from searching the forum that the LX NA motors had tensioner(s) that swing the opposite direction and are a good AC delete solution.

Does anyone know if the springs are the same size as the SC tensioner springs?

If it is, does anyone have one to sell?

Tks.

Tks..

I have rebuilt my tensioners already and would like to use them. Reclocking it is not an issue.

Last edited:
It's simple to reverse the tensioner.

Grind the dowels off of the back of the tensioner, cut the stop off of the spring cover, then bolt the tensioner back on, so the idler is touching the bottom side thermostat housing (so you can get some good tension on the belt.) Then just pull the tensioner down, put the belt over it, and you're finished.

I went to napa and bought the complete tensioner for $45.. it is reverse... its from a 96 3.8lx...wroked great for the ac delete.. i just had to drill a new hole to swing it a bit.. easy stuff... or you can do it the Cmac way fo free ?

* note, if you buy the new tensioner, the pulley is a 6rib ...

Last edited:
Cutting stop option.

CMAC89 - 1. If you cut the stop off the spring retaining cover how much swing do you get before the coils bind against the housing and
2. do you feel the tension is close to the amount as you would normally?

Miller - 1. Did you notice if the length of the tensioner arm is the same?

2. Is there any reason why I couldn't use my nice shinny billet pully? Is the bolt hole a different thread?

The coil wont bind. They are 1/4" coils.

It has plenty of tension, too. It depends on the amount that you clock the tensioner prior to putting the belt on.

When I did mine, I just bolted the tensioner down after I clocked it against the bottom of the thermostat housing.

I went to napa and bought the complete tensioner for $45.. it is reverse... its from a 96 3.8lx...wroked great for the ac delete.. i just had to drill a new hole to swing it a bit.. easy stuff... or you can do it the Cmac way fo free ?

* note, if you buy the new tensioner, the pulley is a 6rib ...

Miller,

Do you have a pic of the set up installed. I wanted to do buy the ac delete pulley but things have now caused me to cut some serious corners. I want to get the car done.

quoting Miller

Im posting for miller here. He said if you have to cut corners do like Cmac said.

Picture047-1.jpg

thats the reverse 6 rib tensioner and the only difference would be that the belt would go under the water pump pulley

-Corey

Im posting for miller here. He said if you have to cut corners do like Cmac said.

Picture047-1.jpg

thats the reverse 6 rib tensioner and the only difference would be that the belt would go under the water pump pulley

-Corey

Thanks but I dont want to cut that many corners. That riggamaroo, toochiefachie, drill a hole, poke a finger,scotch tape mess with the stock tension thing is not what I want. I tried it and it got boogered all up. Can you get a closer shot of the LX tensioner you have on there. I am concerned about how it wraps the WP pulley. I appreciate you posting the pic. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Picture047-1.jpg

-Corey

Off topic, why does the AR have that brace on the snout?

Back