Ebrake problem

Evan_90SC

I haven't been using my ebrake for a couple weeks now, and it seems to not even work. Whenever I pull the handle up it doesn't make the clicking noise, and it sounds like the button on the end is pushed in, even though it's not. I think this might have started when I left the ebrake on overnight once when it was cold outside and everything froze. That leads me to think that the cable might be stretched...? But I still can't pull the ebrake up very far, never have been able to. It's always only gone up to about 5 clicks, and it's tight. Maybe this is just a problem with just the handle mechanism? Anyone else had this problem before? Thanks.

The ebrake on my 94 still works but as u said only goes about 4-5 clicks before its tight, and even that wot hold the car in idle.... Still gotta look into that when I finally change my screamin rear end, things got a whine louder than my supercharger!!!:eek:

I think its a known problem with our cars that the rotating pin on the rear calipers that engage the brake seizes up so no matter how hard you pull that ebrake, it ain't gonna budge.

Mine did that last year and it took alot of work to free them up, and it still isn't working right, so it looks like I'm in for some new rear calipers this year.

I think its a known problem with our cars that the rotating pin on the rear calipers that engage the brake seizes up so no matter how hard you pull that ebrake, it ain't gonna budge.

Mine did that last year and it took alot of work to free them up, and it still isn't working right, so it looks like I'm in for some new rear calipers this year.

This doesn't mean that the ebrake is always engaged does it? It just means that the ebrake isn't going to engage...? I'm fine with not having an ebrake...I just don't want to be doing damage to anything...Wait, I just remembered that when I got my rear rotors replaced last summer I had the calipers done too...I think I'll have to take a trip back to the mechanic that installed them. Maybe I can get a fix for free. :D ... So you had the same symptom of the handle not clicking? Thanks.

Jack the back of your car up and see if you can spin the rotor , if it spins its free. have someone pull on the ebrake see what its doing

I can almost loosen the lugnuts with the ebrake alone but when i'm driving the ebrake does little to slow me down from 60, level ground and off the gas. Maybe have my rotors turned? they do get hot enough after that to spit on an sizzle.:confused:

Back