starting problems

wauseonbird

I have a 96 bird with a 4.6L and I can not get it to start. Its getting fuel, spark, and air. I have changed the fuel filter (which was bad), new plugs, and I replaced the IAC cuz it was stalling out on me when it would run. It will start when its warm out but not when its cold. now...since its been warmer out..it still wont start. I had a friend tell me that it might be the cam or crank sensor. I need help here guys! lol...so any input will be appriciated! lol...I'm gettin tired of driving my civic everyday!

my friend hooked up his scanner to my car and it said that the coolant was at 200+. and there is no way cuz I live in northwest ohio and it was below freezing! lol. do u think that could be a coolant temp sensor or the thermastat? and would that have anything to do with it starting?:confused:

Back up a few, what caused it to not run? Did it just not run one day when you went outside? I would think that the cam/crank sensor could be suspect, but you said it has spark. Also, how do you know you are getting fuel?

Chris

it said that the coolant was at 200+.

Either the temperature sensor or the wiring is shot. It's telling the computer that the engine is hot. That means it won't give it cold enrichment which in turn means that it doesn't have enough fuel to start. Somewhat like trying to start a small engine (lawnmower etc) without the choke. There are a few temperature sensors on these cars; make sure you change the right one (search for it; there is lots of info). You want the one for the EEC (computer), not the one for the gauge. If you have a multi-meter, you can test the sensor before buying a new one.

This has nothing to do with the thermostat; the thermostat physically blocks coolant until the engine is warmed up, preventing it from flowing through the radiator. It won't keep the engine from starting.

Vince

Back up a few, what caused it to not run? Did it just not run one day when you went outside? I would think that the cam/crank sensor could be suspect, but you said it has spark. Also, how do you know you are getting fuel?

Chris

I know its gettin fuel cuz it will turn over then I hit the fuel bleader thing on the fuel rail and fuel came out...and yes. just one day i went outside to go to work and it just cranked and cranked. I thought of the cam/crank sensors too...but my friends computer didn't say anything about that...

my friend hooked up his scanner to my car and it said that the coolant was at 200+. and there is no way cuz I live in northwest ohio and it was below freezing! lol. do u think that could be a coolant temp sensor or the thermastat? and would that have anything to do with it starting?:confused:

Just a dumb question, but was the car already warmed up when you did that or had it been sitting over night?

Yeah, that will probably help you out a TON since it thinks it is soooo cold that it is dumping fuel into the engine.

Chris

Yeah, that will probably help you out a TON since it thinks it is soooo cold that it is dumping fuel into the engine.

He's got the opposite problem. His temp sensor says the engine is hot, so it's not giving it cold enrichment when it needs it, hence why it won't start when it's cold.

Vince

Hmmmmmm....then why would the plugs be black? I read it wrong in that the temp was reading -200. Sorry. Still, replace it and see what chu have.

Chris

Hmmmmmm....then why would the plugs be black? I read it wrong in that the temp was reading -200. Sorry. Still, replace it and see what chu have.

Chris

so I should replace the temp. sensors? and I know there's the 2 that r like in front of the intake manifold. r those the only 2 that r on there or r there more?

Should be just those two. If they are swapped, the guage will show a steady reading. I believe it is on the cold side. Cant remember the ill effects on the engine.

Chris

I'm not familiar with the 4.6L so I can't help you on the location. You don't need to change both. One is for the temperature gauge on the dash and the other is for the computer. You only need to change the one for the computer. I just changed the one on my SC. I'm pretty sure Ford used the same sensor on the 4.6 as the 3.8. Ford quoted me $88... I got a used one from the wreckers for $2 :)

If you have a multi-meter (set to Ohms - resistance), you can test the sensor according to the table on this webpage:

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=28

Vince

Back