Idle speed in gear

95CaliSC

I have a 95 auto and am curious what rpm it should be running at when in D. Mine seems to idle a little low when in gear. It doesn't really seem to be in danger of stalling per ce but can dip to around 400 or so.*according to the tach* Car seems to rattle, vibrate and everything else at that rpm. In neutral it seems to idle at 600 and is smooth as glass.

I am assuming car is control by computer for idle speed , so it should be correct.*its showing no codes* Could there be a adjustment on my tranny or something. I thought it was comp controlled too? Anyhow , any suggestions, thoughts would be much appr.

engine vibration

only when in drive at a stop is this what you had. did you get any answers working on my now that the balancer came off tomk

If the engine idles nice and smooth in neutral but when you put a rotational load on it via having the transmission in a drive setting, most likely the vibrations and roughness you are feeling are worn motor mounts allowing the engine to much free movement.

Ross.

It should to be closer to 550-600 rpm in gear, and 650-800 rpm in neutral/park. If you feel like doing a little investigating, I'd pull the IAC and see how filthy it is. If it is getting pretty filthy in there, the IAC will have a tendency to stick, which could cause unusual idle rpm as well as some other possible symptoms.

-Rod

Thanks for the responses. When I had the tranny replaced, I also went ahead and had the motor mounts replaced as well. What a difference! It is very smooth now. However, it still does idle a little low and even though it has new plugs/wires , it seems to *miss* a little at idle. I will definately check the IAC.

As a side note, I was looking at the throttle body yesterday and the IAC has that power connector on the top, I noticed that the wires appeared to have been cut at some point. I am a little confused as to why anyone would do this but they were horribly reconnected. When I removed the black electrical tape to investigate one of the wires broke off. Right at the connector also. So now I guess I'll be off to the boneyard to find another connector that I can use to fix the connections. Any idea why the hell someone would cut those wires. Better question may be why they would lick and twist it back together?!?:confused:

Back