Thunderbird Sc 90 vs Impala SS 1996

ok i'll bite,know how it feels to have 0 to post,i say this for that the s c by inches.

Last edited:
I beat a stock ss with my stock 90 5-speed sc. Destroyed him off the line, once he caught up he wanted to go again so then I beat him again from a roll. This is one of those occasions where the weight of the sc doesnt play much of a factor because the ss is even heavier and a stock ss isnt fast anyway.

When my 94 SC was still stock I lined up with a 96 Impala SS three times one day at Milan Dragway and beat him everytime. I would get him good out of the hole and about mid track I could see he was starting to catch up but there was not enough track for him to do it. I beat him by a good three or four car lengths everytime. The owner (nice guy) and I talked quite a bit in the lanes and I do recall he said it was stock. This isn't a 90 5 speed but it's an SC.:)

When I had my 90 SC Auto I got spanked by a stock 94 SS Impala...car was fully loaded, and always really sluggish in comparison to the other SCs I've owned.

-Tim

my friend have SS 96 this summer i will know who win. SS cut off at 200 km/h.

Mon ami a un impala 96 ss J'ai hate a cette été pour voir si je le passe. j'ai pas conduit mon thunderbird encore sa va allé a cette été seulement. Je crois que ce seras tres similaire comme vous le dite. :)

I'd give the nod to the SS over a 89-93 SC with a 5 speed 94-95 SC being a drivers race.

Friend of mine used to have one and with exhaust and cai it would run times equal to his 92 5.0 stang 5speed (about the same mods cai and catback) I was supprised... Everyone gets all excited about the Maurader and stock for stock the SS totaly ownes one.. I spanked one at the track with my slow (10.01 1/8ths) sc to his low 11's! lame.... Blower they are fast but without lame..

Everyone gets all excited about the Maurader and stock for stock the SS totaly ownes one.. I spanked one at the track with my slow (10.01 1/8ths) sc to his low 11's! lame.... Blower they are fast but without lame..

Stock vs Stock,The Marauder would pull on a Impala on the high side but would end almost even running the 1/4 mile. These were both mid 15 second cars in the short time they were around. Some minor bolt ons and you can take a Marauder easily into the 13's. To do that with a Impala you are talking minor internal engine work like a cam or heads. The LT-1 is a boat anchor of a engine, pull it out and replace it with a LS-1 then you have something.

Stock vs Stock,The Marauder would pull on a Impala on the high side but would end almost even running the 1/4 mile. These were both mid 15 second cars in the short time they were around. Some minor bolt ons and you can take a Marauder easily into the 13's. To do that with a Impala you are talking minor internal engine work like a cam or heads. The LT-1 is a boat anchor of a engine, pull it out and replace it with a LS-1 then you have something.

FTI, gears, CAI, headers, and tune can get an Impala in the 13s, Maybe do some research. FYI, the Lt1 is a good motors and the playing field evens when adding modifications between it and the LS1. there is a guy on the local board with an all motor Impala SS (bored to 357, but not stroked) that ran 12.1 on drag radials ALL MOTOR! you will NEVER see a non stroked Maurader, hell probably not even just a stroked Marauder do that. Anf FYI, many Impala SSes have broke into the 14s stock and most are low 14s. i like marauders, don't get me wrong, but they were basically equal to an Impala stock for stock, but 10 years too late to the party. Remember, the LT1 is basically an SBC with good heads (The iron LT1 heads on the Impala actually flow better than the aluminum ones in the F-Bodies). Keep in mind, this combo was also avail in the Caprice and stock in the Roadmaster and Felltwood (the LT1 that is, gearing was different though, Impalas had 3.08s while the others had either 2.56a or 2.93s, (except the 9C1 Caprices of course that got the same 3.08s as the Impala). Hell, there are bolt-on only LT1 Fleetwoods well into the 13s and they weigh MUCH more than an Impala or Marauder! As far as features go and steering felel, the marauder has it, but overall performance and potential, it's the SS hands down. Hell, you probably wouldn't believe how little it took to get my GTP in the 13s :D

Last edited:
So, that was bone stock? no exhaust, no filter, stock tires, etc? If so must have been one HELL of a freak, i don't see 4.6 automatic GTs running that. Hell my old Crown Vic CVPI could run no better than 16.1@83 and it was probably lighter than your T-Bird (gotta love old aero vics without many options) and it was 97 version rated at 215 HP. it was also considered unusally quick (only other PI i saw there couldn't break a 16.7). If it ran it great, but with what they usually run, don't be surprised if someone was skeptical.

So, that was bone stock? no exhaust, no filter, stock tires, etc? If so must have been one HELL of a freak, i don't see 4.6 automatic GTs running that. Hell my old Crown Vic CVPI could run no better than 16.1@83 and it was probably lighter than your T-Bird (gotta love old aero vics without many options) and it was 97 version rated at 215 HP. it was also considered unusally quick (only other PI i saw there couldn't break a 16.7). If it ran it great, but with what they usually run, don't be surprised if someone was skeptical.

well, if it makes any difference, this was at Houston Raceway Park in nice cool wether.
add the track with is only 10 feet above sea level, low humidity, cool weather, which all equals a low density alltitude, makes for bettter times.(the da was something like 900 feet below sea level.)

The car weighed in(at the time), of 3,940 lbs.

Back