View Full Version : Head gasket question

02-01-2008, 10:24 PM
i got a 90 model SC a little while back and im finaly getting around to fixing it. it was parked for a blown head gasket.

my question is whats the best kind of gaskets to get and where from? i plan on doing some mods to the car and dont want to run stock gaskets, and im having a hard time finding a preformance gasket set for it.

any help would be great! thanks!

Tom B
02-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I would get it taken apart to determin what the needs are, if it has been down awaile you could have rust issues, and to make sure the crankcase is not contaminated with coolant. I put ARP studs and use Fel-pro gaskets... Just some thoughts

XR7 Dave
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
If you use ARP studs, torqued to 85ftlbs, and Felpro MLS gaskets it will hold up fine. You'll need to have the heads machined to an RA 30 finish or better (best performed by a shop used to working on imports or race motors), and then use Permatex copper spray on the block side of the gasket. Be sure to clean the block surface well but DON"T DAMAGE the surface. Many over zealous people have ruined their block surfaces (yes a wire wheel can ruin the block deck).

As for the rust, you'll have some for sure but as long as the rings aren't stuck (motor still turns over easily) then you really have no choice but to not worry about it and cross your fingers. If the motor is stuck after sitting then most likely the rings are a mess and it will need rebuilding.

Stupid Canuck
02-01-2008, 11:19 PM
My vote is for the Felpro Permatorque MLS ('98 Mustang left/right part #'s) with ARP studs (Chevy 2.8). More expensive because it's not a kit but Ford went to MLS-type on it's later aluminum headed six-bangers for good reason.

02-02-2008, 10:31 PM
thanks everyone for the info, but where would i find this stuff at? normal parts store or what?

02-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Headgaskets can be orderd from a local parts store. www.Rockauto.com may be able to beat their price.

ARP Head studs can be ordered through a local engine rebuilder, or from www.summitracing.com or through www.jegs.com

Here are the numbers:
ARP Head Studs 233-4003
Felpro Permatorque MLS gasket for the 98 Mustang 3.8. Part Numbers: PN 9262PT and 9263PT (left and right)

02-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Here's a thread I posted about a year ago after doing the H/G project on my 89 automatic car:


Scroll down a few posts, and I listed the parts, P/N's, sources, prices for everything I bought. This should help steer you in the right direction.


02-04-2008, 05:58 PM
awesome. yall rock!

02-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Has anyone ever had black goo in the overflow after putting in the felpro mls hg's with the rubber coating? I got black goo, and it does not look like its from a hose...

02-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Can you describe it better? little pieces of something, or more like a oily substance?

02-09-2008, 03:24 AM
very thin black chunks, almost like the rubber melted off the gasket by the water jackets.

02-09-2008, 10:07 AM
pieces of your old blowed HG

02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
RTV probably from the intake manifold area or the front cover or even if someone went crazy with the stuff when putting the freeze plugs in.

Below is a picture of a piece of RTV I pulled out of a water jacket on my 90 SC when replacing the head gaskets. It was sitting behind the very small coolant hole in the oem head gasket likely blocking coolant flow in that area.

That's why you try and use as little gasket maker as you can when building things.

02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I was checking through my cooling system just before winter to see if something was causing the engine to overheat. I found a paper towel jammed up inside the over flow tank, its hose and the rad.