Carbon fiber trac loc rebuild, yes or no?

rzimmerl

So I just picked up a Mark VIII aluminum center section to put 3.73's in and a trac loc. I can get a used trac loc from a 93 Mustang 8.8 from a guy at work cheap. Just wondering does anyone have the carbon fiber clutches installed? Also does anyone know if the spring that comes in the carbon fiber kit stiffer than the F150 spring?

I believe bryan miller over on tccoa.com has them in his 1997 Thunderbird. You might want to contact him. Check the IL forum over there.

I say no ,go with the OEM frictions and a f-150 S-spring. SCP sells the kit with 8 plates, so you can overstack and the kit is around $40. The carbon fiber are cool, but you cannot overstack them and they have less syurface area. They were intended to smooth out the chatter in corners. If you get a chatter problem just add another bottle of modifier. I usually use 2 bottles of modifier after initial break in.
I build diffs with the following components and have great luck with it.
OEM 28 spline traction lock. ( I find mustang ones on ebay and machine the sidegears)
Yukon gears from SCP.
Rebuild kit with frictions and seals from SCP
f-150 S-spring from ford.
first 1000 miles one bottle of modifier and the cheapest 80-90 I can get ( I buy it in 5 gallon buckets at tractor supply)
After initial break in I drain all the fluid through a drain plug I install into the front cover. Then refill with 75w140 synthetic motorcraft fluid and 2 bottles of modifier.

Alan

Thanks for the good info Alan.

I found a set of Motive Gear 3.73's and a new Trac Loc diff on Ebay for cheap, we'll see what happens.

Watch the motives for measurement. They are good gears but you have to calculate pinion depth properly.
Make sure the trac-lok is for IRS or have it machined. You don't want to deal with what happens if you don't machine it.
Alan

Ya, I know about the machining thing. I ran across a couple of your threads about it. I don't think its for an IRS car, I'll contact you about machining the gears when I get to look at it.

Whats the best gear out there to look for, FRPP, Yukon, Motive...etc....?

I have a guy here locally that teaches High Performance at University of Northwestern Ohio that will be setting up the entire diff for me. I am just rounding up the parts for the install.

Ya, I know about the machining thing. I ran across a couple of your threads about it. I don't think its for an IRS car, I'll contact you about machining the gears when I get to look at it.

Whats the best gear out there to look for, FRPP, Yukon, Motive...etc....?

I have a guy here locally that teaches High Performance at University of Northwestern Ohio that will be setting up the entire diff for me. I am just rounding up the parts for the install.

I have never had any problems with any of those brand gears. I did once buy the cheap gears on ebay and learned why they are so cheap.
Alan

Back