Ran out of gas...

CarolinaGrl

I've searched the forums for this topic... Didn't see one so if it does exist, forgive me..

1990 Thunderbird SC

Husband cranked the car and plugged up the computer to see what needed to be replaced, as we are getting ready to sell it. (has been sitting for about 6 months) Ran the car out of gas in the driveway after retrieving the codes.. Replaced the o2 sensors, put more gas in it and now it will not start... Replaced the crank and cam sensors.. It's getting fuel and fire it just won't start. Battery is good... Plugs and wires are good.. What in the heck could it be? In the past 2 years we've replaced just about every sensor there is to replace so if i haven't listed it, it's probably still new, as it hasn't been driven very much.

Did you get an actual fuel pressure number, or did you just push the schrader valve? Just because fuel comes out of the schrader valve doesn't mean there's enough fuel pressure supplying the injectors.

Is this at the fuel rail? If so, that's WAY too high. It should be around 40psi (key on).

Sounds like you have a bad fuel pressure regulator (FPR).

I ended up buying this SC and towed it over to my shop......

It was indeed getting 90 psi at the rail......:eek:

I talked it over with my mechanic and figured that it had to be the FPR.....

Well, we replaced the FPR and the bolt that holds it to the head is now somewhere in the dark woods somewhere in upstate South Carolina.....:rolleyes:

Still no start....:mad:

Checked fuel pressure and it was still 90 psi.....:mad::mad:

I decided to check the fuel lines under the passenger side and found the problem......:D

The PO got the return line pinched shut when he installed the hose clamp around the fuel filter and return line at the same time.....:eek:

We gently squeezed the plastic return line back into shape and got 30 psi fuel pressure......

But still no start.....

Checked the oil on the dip stick and it had quite a bit of fuel contamination......

We are guessing that all the plugs are fouled and will need to be replaced along with an oil change.....:rolleyes:

And to top things off, I sold a set of fuel lines off my heavily parted parts car a few weeks ago....:rolleyes:

Now I have to go get a set of lines off one of my other parts cars......:p

Last edited:
You too!!!

I think we should make a forum just for no start SC's..LOL
Mine would be in there too:rolleyes:

Tom

Well, we replaced the FPR and the bolt that holds it to the head is now somewhere in the dark woods somewhere in upstate South Carolina.....:rolleyes:

How about quit throwing your bolts down here would you.... I chunked it and mine down into Georgia somewhere... Those things are a pia for sure

S

Gotta be very careful with those plastic lines.....:p

How's your SC running.....

She's been sitting in the garage for a while. I finally checked the oil pressure which is pretty damn strong. Now I have to get the pushrod lengths measured out so I can replace them.

Back