Mark VIII crossmember different from t-bird?

92bird

I was under a '94 Lincoln mark VIII at the junkyard today and noticed it had a different crossmember-to-trans mount than the T-birds do.

Is uses the square mustang style transmission mount, and looked a LOT more solid than the T-bird mount.

Anyone know if the whole mark VIII crossmember will bolt up to a T-bird? The tunnel lengths between the FN10 and MN12 look identical.

Jeramie

The Mark VIII Transmission crossmember should be exactly the same as the T-bird one. It should use the same Transmission mount also. I dont know why the one you saw was different, it may have been fabricated - not aware of any aftermarket crossmember or mounts like you are describing. Pictures would be nice. Most of the MN12 and FN10 Chassis is the same ( up to the back half and roof of the car, thats where it changes ) .. but as for the transmission tunnel, etc, its all the same.

- Dan

See attached, the mount looked like this, except it was oem black rubber material.

It also looked identical to the 1998 Mustang v6 mount that I pulled my 4R70W from.

It definitly was not the T-bird style, and it was an OEM looking piece and bracket. I'm 100% sure of that.

I was under the car to get the shift lever out of the transmission, and the shifter assembly. I doubt the car was modified. It still had the aluminum accumulators in the transmission case.

I'm going to go pull the crossmember this afternoon if I have time.

Jeramie

Attachments

• transmount.jpg
    transmount.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 87
Back