T5 swap in a supercoup?????

Momar

I know that these are much more common, and was wondering if they swap in easily? If not, I have a second gear syncro out. Anyone know where to get syncros for these?

Ben

From what I've read... bad bad bad idea to go to a T5... these motors will chew one of those up and spit it out before you can say mother.

The F150 brass syncro's will work as folks have had good luck with those.

Parts are available from Southern Gear. The T5 has been done but it's probably not worth the effort. Parts are available and the transmissions are easy to work on.

actually the M5 is a MAZDA trany and it was labeled ford tough. However, the M5 can widthstand tons more abuse than the T5 could ever dream of. At 300hp your just waiting for the T5 to detonate. At 600hp the M5 can still be a strong trany as long as its maintained.

^^note this is stock for stock

actually the M5 is a MAZDA trany and it was labeled ford tough. However, the M5 can widthstand tons more abuse than the T5 could ever dream of. At 300hp your just waiting for the T5 to detonate. At 600hp the M5 can still be a strong trany as long as its maintained.

^^note this is stock for stock

The M5 is a Mazda tranny that was built for the Bronco that was then incorporated into the SC.. No one has found the limit of that tranny yet..

Stock World class T5's arent al that bad. After 7 years of abuse mine finally went south on my stang. On my cougar making in excess of 400rwhp I used to go through them often..Stang is low 300's. Its more about the torque output. Eitherway its a hassel to swap...The stocker is fine...And would cost alot less to repair then modifying a t5 to fit

T5s are relatively solid. I have one from an '85 GT in my '66 Mustang ( carbed 5.0, TFS heads, Paxton supercharger, etc. ) and the car is making around 425 horses, running 12.1 at 114 with a "gentle" 3000 rpm launch on Mickey Thompson ET Streets, and it has held up quite well. Granted, if you abuse it constantly it will eventually fail - but if you're not dumping the clutch all the time or powershifting and you start out with a healthy T5 I can't imagine you'd break it unless you're putting over 400 horses to the wheels on sticky tires.

I just bought my first SC last weekend, so I don't know about the problems associated in a swap into a SC. It was a bolt-in for my '66 Mustang - all I had to do was have a driveshaft fabbed up and install a clutch cable and I was in business!! I'm sure it's quite a bit more complicated in an SC though.

Last edited:
T5s are relatively solid. I have one from an '85 GT in my '66 Mustang ( carbed 5.0, TFS heads, Paxton supercharger, etc. ) and the car is making around 425 horses, running 12.1 at 114 with a "gentle" 3000 rpm launch on Mickey Thompson ET Streets, and it has held up quite well. Granted, if you abuse it constantly it will eventually fail - but if you're not dumping the clutch all the time or powershifting and you start out with a healthy T5 I can't imagine you'd break it unless you're putting over 400 horses to the wheels on sticky tires.

I just bought my first SC last weekend, so I don't know about the problems associated in a swap into a SC. It was a bolt-in for my '66 Mustang - all I had to do was have a driveshaft fabbed up and install a clutch cable and I was in business!! I'm sure it's quite a bit more complicated in an SC though.

Got any pics of that 66?

Part of the problem with us is the amount of torque we produce at low RPM's because of the roots blower and the weight its gotta move. Your talking over 300 ft/lb's of torque hitting at 2400 RPM's in a 4000 lb car... and that car is stock ;).

Back