Crank sensor maybe?

Chadspoon

My '89 SC dies after running for about 10 minutes. If i wait 5 minutes it fires back up and runs for another 10 minutes, approximately. My brother just had this happening to his car and it was the crank sensor. It would restart after it cooled off. Anybody have any ideas before I start trouble shooting...?

Thanks for the input!

are u getting an upshift light when ur tryin to crank it ?

thats a sure sign of a bad crank sensor.

does it ever take a few tries to start ? or take awhile to turn over ?

I have not seen an upshift light. When I try to restart it it either fires right up or never starts during that attempt. It's like all or nothing. When it dies it cuts out instantly, no sputtering or rough running. Just like flicking a switch...

It may be the crank sensor or the electrical connection to the sensor.

Also, don't rule out a possible defective ignition switch.

Sounds more like a bad DIS module or Coil Pack....crank sensor usually works or it doesn't.

David

I second the DIS module.. sounds like its getting hot then quitting. Might want to get yourself some heat transfer paste, yank the DIS off, clean up both surfaces good, put a little of that goo on , then carefully tighten the DIS back down.

I will go against the flow....crank sensor would be my SWAG. The crank sensor in my 89 went intermittent and the car would either not start or would die after running for some time. Let it sit and it would fire right up and run....for a while at least. No codes were set...it just quit.

I would look at the Crank Sensor also. An 89 I had would do that from time to time and found out the balancer was going out, which would cause the sensor to fail.

I had a belt chew threw the crank sensor harness because it wasint tied down, it caused the exact symptoms your describing

Back