intercooler tube re routing

shawpdx1

making the double intercooler, Ive seen some pics of re routed tubes Im going with the alum 3" tubes looks like I'll need to sacrifce my old tubes to get something to attach the new ones to with the blue rubber coupler. or is there another way? is 3" over kill? or should I go with 2.75 or 2.50 for the tubes thanks

2.5 is all that you need. Some have used 2.75 or 3 and claim to not have any lag in boost but all you really need is 2.5. It will be a lot easier to route that than 3 anyway.
upload a pic when your done.
good luck!

better

the ideal is to not have restrictions. I would think it you have 3" exhaust and 3 inch intake and 75mm tb. It would be best to go 3" on your tubing. on your intercooler you can have 3" nipples welded on. balanced is the goal, you dont want the flow to keep changing velocities. Just a thought... I could be wrong

Its more important to have the 3" on the intake. so you dont crate too much vacuum right before the supercharger. but after the supercharger 3" is not that important. 2.5 will be fine for mild mods, 2.75 is nice if you can fit them but only really neccesary if you have top dogs status.

yes

I agree... the size should match the rest of the system so all work together. For most of us 2.5 is Right.

the ideal is to not have restrictions. I would think it you have 3" exhaust and 3 inch intake and 75mm tb. It would be best to go 3" on your tubing. on your intercooler you can have 3" nipples welded on. balanced is the goal, you dont want the flow to keep changing velocities. Just a thought... I could be wrong

Balance is a good thing, 3" tubes would not be balanced though. The lower intake manifold inlet and plenum is smaller than 3" pipeing so unless you have opened them up, as some have done, it becomes a bottle neck. I would question if most blower tops can flow what a 3" tube flows. And Ricardo is right the inlet side is more important than the outlet side. 3" tubes look cool but I doubt they do the average SC any good at all. Now Kevin in his goal to reach 9s is a diffrent story

Ken

Intercooler tubing size has to do with air temperature and VE of a blower/turbo. As temperature rises gases will expand. Air is hottest on the inlet side and coolest on the return side, therefore, you would run larger tubing on the inlet side of the intercooler than you would on the return side.

I run 3" tubing on the inlet side and 2.5" on the return for that reason.

thanks for the info. I wasnt sure what size to use I was thinking 3" would be over kill. want to leave room for growth ( more mods as I can afford it) with out it being over kill. IM just collecting parts, going to get these and build up some more dough for a 94/95 rasied top, spent my 1000.00 for the next couple of months then I lick my wounds for a month and then the bug is back Thanks TEd

Intercooler tubing size has to do with air temperature and VE of a blower/turbo. As temperature rises gases will expand. Air is hottest on the inlet side and coolest on the return side, therefore, you would run larger tubing on the inlet side of the intercooler than you would on the return side.

I run 3" tubing on the inlet side and 2.5" on the return for that reason.

Since the stock top has a very small opening, inlet side of the IC and since most people feel that up grading the top is not necessary untill a much higher HP level, I guess Ford didnt see it that way. But on the other hand you beating me in Mod 2 might have been because of that;):D

Ken

Last edited:
doesn't the mp fmic have a 2.75" top pipe and a 2.5 " pipe running to the return inlet plenum?

Last edited:
see I told you I could be wrong

Balance is a good thing, 3" tubes would not be balanced though. The lower intake manifold inlet and plenum is smaller than 3" pipeing so unless you have opened them up, as some have done, it becomes a bottle neck. I would question if most blower tops can flow what a 3" tube flows. And Ricardo is right the inlet side is more important than the outlet side. 3" tubes look cool but I doubt they do the average SC any good at all. Now Kevin in his goal to reach 9s is a diffrent story

Ken

I didnt consider air density.. Thanks Ken

Back