****rear Suspension Question****

greg underwood

Hello Everyone, I Have A 1990 35th Anniversary 5sp Sc. Recently My Front End Guy Told Me He Couldnt Align My Bird Because Something Was Wrong With The Left Rear Suspension. The Car Is Wearing The Inside Edge Of The Left Rear Tire Badly. I Assume This Is A Contol Arm Bushing Problem But Wanted Some Input From You Guys Before Tearing Into It. Are There Common Issues That Cause The Problem I'm Having? Is It Most Likely The Upper Or The Lower Control Arm Causing This? Is There A Kit To Address This Issue And Where Can It Be Purchased Reasonably. There Seems To Be An Adjustment On Both The Upper And Lower Arms Which Adjustment Controls What? Thanks In Advance For Any Tips Or Advice.

Greg

the rear nut comes loose on the knuckle, jack your car up place your hands on top and bottom of the tire see if you can wobble it if it does you'll need to pull the knuckle off and have a new bearing pressed in

There is both camber and toe adjustments for the rear suspension. The upper control arm inner bushing is of an eccentric type. The adjustment is made by loosening the nut and spinning the bolt. That causes the eccentric bushing to rotate and change camber. The bolt has a flattened potion that interacts with the bushing to turn it. Some folks have no idea how the adjustment is made and assume because there is no cam bolt arrangement like for rear toe and front camber adjustment, that it can't be adjusted. I got fed this line a week ago that someone had removed the cam bolt and the fellow could not adjust my camber. I told him how to make the adjustment and it worked out fine.

The toe adjustment is made on the Lower Control Arm forward inner bushing. It uses a conventional eccentric cam front and back and bolt that is rotated to make the adjustment. The cams interact with raised portions welded on the front and rear sub-frames.

thanks guys, i already checked the bearings and they were fine, judging by what duffy floyd said maybe the alignment guy didnt know about the adjustment on the upper control arm, i'll call him tomorrow. how much play is acceptable in the upper and lower control arm bushings, i cant really feel any in my control arms, is it normally very easily detectable or hard to spot?

Back