Check Engine Light & code reader

SuperDad

Has anyone purchased a code/scanner reader? If so, is it easy to use & what kinds of things/problems does it show? Is it worth $160 to use once. & if I diagnose the problem, can a non-mechanic (me) fix it? I've also read on other threads that sometimes the reader does not work when it's plugged in!
Any thoughts?
Jim

For what year? 89-93 is obd1 and 94-95 is obd2. For obd1, use a paperclip - much cheaper and just as effective.
Mike

Are 95 SC's OBD II compilant? What is the difference OBD II scan tool & the Actron CP9150 Scanner Kit?

Thanks for clarifying the OBD I -OBD II deal. I've looked all over the internet and could not figure it out, now that you've told me, I see it everywhere!:rolleyes: I just ordered a Ford code reader, so we will see if it works.
Thanks again

all year SCs are OBDI. The only OBDII T-bird in 95 is the 4.6l

Okay, I bought a Code Reader on Ebay, Model #3007, $26+ inc shipping. Works great, I got a code # 214, which is a cylinder identification circuit failure. I believe it is a bad injector (only my opinion). I still have not figured out which cylinder yet, but they give instructions to identify it. Is that common? How hard is it to replace one? Should I replace all of them? How much are they? The car has 116K miles on it & I don't know if they have been changed. Any thoughts?

Back