What's that, tape? Anyone replaced this on your door?

JAFO

Looking at my doors, next to the window (would be between the door window and the rear window when door is shut) there's a 2.5-3" strip of black tape. Instead of a body piece, this tape is there--kind of the texture of electrical tape. Is this how all of these cars are? It's gotten wrinkled and bubbled up in some places so it's got to go. I don't really even know what to call this stuff, has anyone replaced it? Where'd you get it?

Thanks

you should

what most people do is just take the tape off (with a heat gun) and use some compound remover for the glue..and it looks a lot nicer looking or if you want the black tape i would just get some vinel tape and cut to fit or mabe someone has the numbers to run, for ford but if i were you i would just clean it all off on both side because if you replace it you will always have to replace it again in the furture!;)

-Jerry-

Yah, pretty much what Jerry said.

Most people either remove it and leave it off (body color underneath). If you really like it black, you can get replacement stickers from ford. Ask for B pillar stickers for a tbird. Or, do what some others do, and paint it a flat black in that area.

I see that it's painted under there, but I can't really picture how that would look with a red stripe in the middle like that. Anyone have a picture? Would be a lot easier, but also doesn't sound too hard to replace, or expensive.

Pic's anyone?

Large image

Dsc00053.jpg

Clean the area good...mask the area and paint it..Pep Boys sells masking paper in small rolls,works great...you can get Satin Black paint in spray cans..then you don't have to worry with it again.It's really easy to do,go for it.
z

Tazer...you're car really looks nice!

Last edited:
Not my car, :(

Thats a friend of mine though. His nickname on here is luznit. He is the other car pictured in my sig picture, :D

If you want the genuine replacement, from Ford it should be around $40 U.S. I think. The part number off the top of my head is E9SZ 6320000 A9G, I believe, which I think is enough for both sides.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

i think mine were previously painted cause they were chipping and i could see bare metal under there. so when i had my car repainted i had them repaint the panels too.

$40 for a little tape? That's worse than the $100 they wanted for the 3 belts I've got to replace! I'll look around and see if I can find the paint (MS is about the only state w/o PepBoys). Other than that, I may just try Todd. Not my most pressing issue, but it really is annoying and trashes the appearance of the otherwise great condition of this car.

Well, I also need to replace the door guard on the end of the pass. door. Is that super inflated too?

The door guard? Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean the little rubber trim piece stuck to the body?

This may just be an auto parts store piece, I'm not sure what is stock and what's not. This is the door edge guard, vertical on the end of the door. To keep from chipping your paint if you open your door into something. Couldn't find any in a couple of local stores. Has an adhesive inside, and slips on the end of the door. I'd like to find one that matches the other side, so I don't have to do both doors to get them to match.

I'll try to pick up some Polaroid film today and scan in some pic's. The other film isn't yet used up and I'm still in the stoneage camera-wise. I was hoping there'd be a digital camera with purchase, but I guess not. ;) The car really is in good shape, just needs some minor maintenance/repairs (mostly for peace of mind) and minor cosmetic things. You should see this paint! Original and hardly a rain spot. They had some sort of paint treatment done which has really preserved it--plus taking good care of it. We need to get the GC chapter going and meet in Biloxi sometime. I'll try to get some up tonight, will help with these questions I've got too.

We need to get the GC chapter going and meet in Biloxi sometime. I'll try to get some up tonight, will help with these questions I've got too.
When can you make it down this way, i.e. MS coast or sumptin. I have no plans for Saturday, we could link up then and shoot some pictures with my digitial camera.

I will be traveling to Houston to link up with TBird88, Vernon, ForceFed95sc, J57ltr, and a few others that have expressed interest in getting another meet going in the very near future. Let me know if want to caravan to H Town!

Cheers,
Calvin

Last edited:
After driving about 1600 miles already this week, I think I'm driven out for now! Actually, I've got to get the new belts on there this weekend, detail it etc. Need to get the radiator repaired/flushed properly before going on any trips. Need to figure out the water on the floorboard too. Maybe at the end of the month/first of Oct? Maybe we can stir up some interest in the meantime?

Back