brake up grade question Kinda dumb but?

shawpdx1

when I pull the front spindle Do i want just the spindle or the whole front assembly as in sway bar end links, and the houseing for the hub you know the 3 bolts in a triangle? the whole knuckle?

Last edited:
Depending on your goals, the Mark VIII upgrade may be an option if you get the parts cheap.

However, bolting on 99-2004 Mustang v6/v8 (non-cobra) dual piston aluminum calipers and using your stock size rotors will outperform the larger mark VIII upgrade due to increased clamping force, and better heat dissipation. Plus, since its from a mustang, you have a candy store full of brake pad choices. Even though the rotor is smaller, it will perform better.

Most junkyards will charge you the same price for a mark VII caliper and bracket, as they will a mustang caliper and bracket.

Either way you need 93+ spindles.

From experience, the 99-04 mustang v6/v8 (non cobra) brakes on stock sized rotors not only outperform the mark VIII option, but give you a much better brake pedal feel. Much more modulated and controllable due to the larger volume of a dual piston caliper. Gets even better with stainless brake lines.

I've had just about every combination of brakes on my SC.. Currently 13" brembos and dual piston mach 1 calipers.

Hope this helps,

Jeramie

Note if you do get the mustang calipers, you must clearance the upper ear of each one with a file just slightly. It doesn't rub, but will eventually hit the spindle as your brake pads wear.

This is easily done with a file and takes less than a minute of filing. You should be able to see what I'm talking about if you bolt them up.

Jeramie

thanks Jeramie,
that helped a lot! IM going to just go grab the whole knuckle and sway bar end link off this 93 SC and the back brake assembly. and use that package until I can find a V-6 mustang with the dual piston calipers. those calipers off the mustang will accept the rotors off the 93 bird? that's what I was on the fence about, either the mark 8 or the sc up grade very cool thanks Ted

Yes, '93 SC rotors will work fine with the mustang calipers. Make sure you get the brackets, pins and also the mustang banjo bolt. The SC banjo bolt will not work. Your stock brake hoses should fit just fine.

Note that the mustang rotors will look just like the SC rotors, but they WILL NOT work because the wheel bolt pattern is different.

Also, when you go to get the spindles, don't forget a hammer, and a pickle fork to seperate the lower balljoint from the spindle. You'll also need a flat blade screwdriver to help seperate the pinch from the upper control arm.

When installing the calipers, there is a left and a right side. You'll need new crush washers. Make sure the bleeder screw is up top so you can get all the air out of both pistons. When bleeding the brakes, I like to tap the caliper with a rubber or plastic mallet to free up any stuck air bubbles. Be careful doing the rear brakes, as they require a special bleeding procedure that is different from standard brakes (you can search on here, the procedure should be posted already) The front brakes are bled like a standard brake system.

Jeramie

Back