replacing and installiing harmonic balancer

JDC

If your old harmonic balancer is broke and you get a BHJ to replace it, how does the machine shop balance the BHJ? I talked to my machine shop "Ford
"machiine shop only and been in business for over 25 yrs. they said if my original harmonic balancer is broke and I need to balance the BHJ w/the pulley what do I use to compare it with? They said that the only way to do that is to take the crank out and balance it with that. Thanks for all the help.JD

The balancer is neutral balance. So its not neccesary to balance.
Unless you are rebuilding the engine and they are blueprinting and balancing.
The balancing is done with material taken off the crankshaft. And they will likely want the balancer and flywheel to get it perfect.

Even when the old one isn't broken, many have just installed a BHJ, as is, along with a neutrally balanced pulley. I'm not saying that's the right way and that's not exactly BHJ's instructions but I haven't heard of any problems. Most times, a BHJ will fit but might need to be honed out to get that .001 under. You'll need a high precision guage. Maybe, the machine shop will lend you one for a short while.

In my case, the HB wasn't broken and I was able to take them both in to get matched. The factory ones have holes around the outside that they jam weights into. The BHJ's can be drilled on the opposite side to remove weight and their instructions mention the maximum drill size.

Back