Plea For Advice!!!!

89SCTB

Heres the background 89 sc 84k mi- auto - currently have changed the plugs (motorcraft ) wires (motorcraft) fuel filter, cam sensor, crankshaft sensor.- It is still wanting to die and is at stops. It will start right back up and continue.- also no codes come up. Idle is a little rough but I don't know if thats related.

Please does any one have any more suggestions. I am stumped! your expert advice greatly appreciated,

Paul

Double check your wires to the coil pack. <--1- 2-3
5-6-4 --> , looking from the front of the engine.

Also could be a vacuum leak. So check around the intercooler tubes, SC top, and intercooler.

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby can help you diagnose.

Were you having any problems before you made the changes?Have you checked for vacuum leaks....if you can give more detail as to how the car is better/worse than before, I'm sure some of the people here can help.Good luck.
z

Are you saying that the car is stumbling and choking down when you come to a stop, like at a traffic light, but runs OK if you are driving? If so, this is a classic symptom of bad engine mounts. When they collapse, they cause rough idle, stalling at traffic lights, etc. You will chase all kinds of sensors and codes looking for the cause.

If it runs rough and stumbles under any condition right after you have changed the plugs, wires, sensors, etc. This may be as simple as the computer going through the "re-learn process". But, that should clear up soon after driving around for a while.

The suggestions about plug wires and vacuum leaks are also valid. Could also be related to dirt on the MAF sensor.

You may also want to check the Cam Sensor to see if it is installed 180* out of phase. The car will crank, but it won't run very well. (But that would be the last thing on my list to check, because I'm sure you installed it correctly the first time, right???)

thank,s for your responses. I'm in Modesto Calif. - Had to drive my daughter to school then my self to work - barely made it!!!!
the thing spit and sputtered almost all the way - died in the middle of a busy intersection - after 3 stoplight cycles finally got started barely.- I changed the crank and cam sensors for that reason above- I paid good money for plugs and wire changout - same reason - The mechanic didnt fix it, and now I havent either.
I AM GETTING FRUSTRATED !! - It almost seems to be worse than before

I havent yet checked vacuum leaks or a few of the other suggestions but I will.

Thanks again - I am open to all advice .:)

Paul

89SCTB,

There are a lot of SC'ers in Northern California and they are all nice people. Post something inthe Northern California Chapter Board and someone will offer to help.

Al

PS Ran codes yet?
PSS Stumbling might be fuel starvation, check the fuel filter dude.

Plugs?

When you had the plugs changed what shape were they in? Did they indicate loading up/lean/detonation? My 93 started having idling issues about 2 months before the HG's failed the first time...we'll all hope against that. On a lighter note, definately check the intake track for vacuum leaks. Ever change the air filter? Maybe the hose on the inlet tube never got put back on...if your mechanic had never done SC plugs/wires it is likely that he was very frustrated by the end and forgot to hook something up...just thoughts here...

Anthony

ps Anyone ever have an IAC fail this way? maybe..that is if it runs well once it gets going.

Last edited:
Back