is 94 bird 4.6l obd1 or obd2? cheap code reader?

AutobotGears

Check engine light on. Car runs fine, I already reset it and it came back on.
Can I use the paperclip/multimeter method like I have done on my 90 bird?

Does walmart or canadian tire sell a cheap/good code reader?

Thanks Trevor

Should be OBD-I on the 94, Trevor. Don't think they used OBD-II on them until 1996 model year.

cheers
Ed N.

I looked in the owners manual(don't know why I didn't think of that before) and it says for the 4.6l is obd2 and I see the little connecter underneath the glove box left hand side eh?
Trevor

I am purddy sure that 94 is/was OBDI. Try it with a paperclip and see what you get. I would be willing to bet that you do not get any codes from the one under your dash and have to use the one under the hood.

Chris

if it's a 94 4.6,it's an OBDII. 94 was the first year for the OBDII for the 4.6s. i've got one sitting in my driveway right now that i'm working on(bad MAF) check under the glove box area by the dash and there will be a square-ish connector. i bought a CreaderIV by Launch. good little unit. gives code# and discription and other data. cost- about $70.

Oops, I was thinking 3.8 again. I sort of knew in the back of my head that the 4.6 in the Bird and Cougar was the first of the Ford family vehicles to get OBD-II back in 1994.

cheers
Ed N.

Back