Resurrecting a Superchicken

Pokey

Hello peoples!
Been reading all the posts here on the forums, lots of good info!
Anyway, I have a 90 SC 5 speed that has been parked for roughly 6 or 7 years outdoors, was parked due to that ugly ABS monstrosity failing on me. Well it failing wasn't the problem really, since I still had brakes if I pressed on the pedal super hard, it was when the system would spontaneously start working and throw me through the windshield when I went to stand on the brakes. :D
I am assuming I will need to replace all the belts and hoses, since I am sure they are all dried and cracked, and depending what the rodents have done to my wiring system under the hood, I may have to replace all that as well. :eek:
Not sure yet because the car is partially buried under a snow drift.
Anyone have any other thoughts on what to do with the car before trying to fire it up, besides changing all the fluids? I plan on doing the brake conversion over to conventional and hiding that silly ABS thingie in a deep dark hole in my shed.
Thanks!

i would recommend new plugs and sqirting a lil (few drops) oil into the cylinders and let it set overnight before you start it. This will help lubricate the rings on the initial start up and hopefully avoid scoring the cylinders in case the rings are a lil rusted to the cylider bores. I did this on my dads 59 ford pickup that sat for about 11 years, and my old buick skylark that sat for nearly 20, and they both started and ran fine. If you use the oil method, you will get a lil smoke at first start up, then it'll go away.

Good luck and god bless for bringing this car back from the dead :D

Be aware that the fuel in that car is OLD. If possible replace it before you fire this beast up. You have covered all the FLUIDS, HOSES< BELTS, etc. Be sure the car will remain in Neutral during start up. Spark plugs might be a good thing to change as well. Wires may have become frayed and arcing could be a problem. Just be vigilant during the process. Meticulous care now could prevent damage to the car and injury to yourself.
A nice new OPTIMA BATTERY sounds like a good option as well. http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/red_top_battery.asp

Good luck and have fun.

Matt

Ahh good points guys. I didn't even think about the bad gas, I should have though considering I got a mouthful of varnished gas trying to bring an old beetle back to life. :eek:
I will for sure try oiling the cylinders, luckily its been parked in dry Nevada so hopefully nothing is too rusted up inside, or in the gas tank now that I think about it.
Thanks guys!
I will keep ya posted on how it goes. :)

Be prepared

To have the clutch froze together from moisture (most common if not parked on concrete or asphalt)

Just an FYI: I bought a 90 XR7 that had been sitting for 6-7 years. The gas was pretty bad. But, after I'd done the usual pre-start checks (oil, fluids, etc.), it started right up like I'd just driven it to the store 10 minutes ago. It ran fine, but did it STINK. I dumped in a bunch of Heet, and topped it off with fresh premium, then ran it down and repeated a couple of times. I changed the fuel filter after the 2nd. tank of fresh gas, and never had a fuel-releated problem. So, it's POSSIBLE that the old gas won't be a barrier to getting it going, but mine was stored indoors (not climate-controlled). Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

JD

Also, run a couple of cans of Seafoam http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm through it for the next couple of tanks of gas -- good for unsticking the injectors and other fuel delivery parts which may have had the old gas in them, which may have varnished over the years.

My stock 1990 SC 5-speed sat garaged for nearly 9 years without running -- emptied tank and replaced with fresh gas, squirted/lubed all of cylinders down and cranked the motor around without spark plugs, replaced ALL of the rubber parts -- hoses, vacuum lines and belts, fresh Mobile 1 oil, fresh Havoline Mercon tranny fluid in stick tranny, fresh rear end fluid with posi additive, flushed power steering, clutch slave and master cylinder as well as brake fluid, replaced fuel and oil filter and started it up.

Ended up replacing the cam sensor and EGR valve, shocks, tires and rubber brake hoses -- also, rubber bushings in front end were dry-rotted -- rear bushings are crumbling and need replacement -- now runs/drives quiet and smooth.

Scott

sorry to hijack, but when yall step on the gas in your SC's is it instant throttle response?
mine has a delay and i was wondering if seafoam would help

Mine sat in a Barn

When I bought mine it was sitting in a barn for 3 years, you can imagine the field mice having a ball in there!!! Spark plug wires all chewed up, ignition wires chewed on- took apart ignition switch and used a screw driver to rub on contacts together and somehow it started up and my friend was standing over by the front of the car when the the belt to the SC ripped apart and hit him in the face:Whoops!!! Bought it for 500.00 with decent mileage on it!

Your SC probably been chewed up by the field mice also, find doo-doo everywhere:rolleyes:

Good Luck with the re-birth!!!!!!

Tom

When I bought mine it was sitting in a barn for 3 years, you can imagine the field mice having a ball in there!!! Spark plug wires all chewed up, ignition wires chewed on- took apart ignition switch and used a screw driver to rub on contacts together and somehow it started up and my friend was standing over by the front of the car when the the belt to the SC ripped apart and hit him in the face:Whoops!!! Bought it for 500.00 with decent mileage on it!

Your SC probably been chewed up by the field mice also, find doo-doo everywhere:rolleyes:

Good Luck with the re-birth!!!!!!

Tom

Yeah I fear what I will find when I pop the hood. It's parked at my parent's house out in the sticks, so I am sure the field mice teamed up with the chipmunks and had a party with all the wires and vacuum lines. :rolleyes:

They have attacked two of my parents' vehicles, and they were driven almost everyday. Dirty little buggers! At least my dad got payback with one of the little monsters, he had the misfortune of being too close to a belt and pulley when the motor got started... HAHA! Rodent guts!

Young-SC-Owner inquires:

sorry to hijack, but when yall step on the gas in your SC's is it instant throttle response?

mine has a delay and i was wondering if seafoam would help.

Seafoam will clean out the fuel delivery system -- won't hurt -- usually takes a couple/three tanks with proper mix of Seafoam to notice difference.

Have you put a code reader on the computer to see what errors might be present?

Scott

Yeah Seafoam is good stuff. At the parts store I work at, there are a lot of people that swear by it, particularly guys that have diesels (for anti-gel.)
Lucas has a good fuel treatment as well.

Hey gang, reposting on this thread to let ya know tomorrow is the big day!
I finally got the time, the weather isn't absolutely horrid, got it dug out of the drift with a skid steer, finally bought all my parts except forgot the oil and coolant... doh!, and I am heading out to my car first thing tomorrow morning (after a quick visit to my work for fluids) to start ripping into it. I am so damn stoked! I can't believe how long I let the car sit considering how much I liked it.
I will let you guys know how it goes, since weather is predicting some rain in the afternoon I might not get it started, but hey, progress is progress.
I am still short the master cylinder for a 92 Crown Vic though, so it for sure wont be road worthy tomorrow, but if I get it started I will be one proud duck. I picked up a 92 base model bird for $100, so there is my booster (plus a lot of other little goodies... muahahahah!)

I can't wait to take it for its second maiden voyage! I will keep ya posted on how it goes.

Laterz
Glenn

Back