Changing Dashboard Wiring question?

Tom B

I'm changing my dash on my 90 5sp, The one i'm putting in is out of a 89 5sp. My question, Am I going to have a compatability problem... cause I noticed tha the wiring for the starter interupt relay has different color wires, I dont think my car has the anti theft installed, so I dont know if I will have any problem. Thanks:

Just switch the harnesses between the two dash frames, and avoid any problems. 89 and 90 are the two closest years, but there still may be some minor differences. Especially if the donor car has different options than your car. Swapping the harnesses isn't really a big deal. I've done it twice. Just work methodically, take photos for routing, and label all the mounting points, etc. You'll need to pull a couple of steel brackets, and some of the HVAC ducting, but it'll give you a chance to clean up the ducting while it's off the car.

JD

too late

I've had the dash for a while and I just spent the last two week-ends going through the harness and wiring in a remote start alarm and compleatly imbedding the wires into the harness... I am going to try and install it tomarrow. I was hoping that some one might be familiar with the differences. I guess I had assumed they would be the same and the only wire diagram I have is the ford manual for 1989 which matched the dash, but when I was looking at my car today I knoticed the relay wiring was different. I did clean up everything.. I painted the bare (slight surface rust) dash frame and brackets white primer. sure makes it easier and brighter to work on... SO if anyone can shed a little light on this it would be GREAT. or I will find out if it works tomarrow.

Back