Long tubes with Cats

Tony8470

First of all is it possible? If so. The crack techs at meineke told me that if you move the O2 sensor and catylitic converter locations it will screw with the computer. In other words. Mounting long tubes will screw with the computer. I have a chip so that won't be a problem, BUT is it drivable untill it is properly tuned?

It depends on the cat. it won't work with the stockers. The converters need heat from the combustion process to "fire off" and start working. If you're too far down stream of the exhaust ports, the cat may not get hot enough to do any work. If it doesn't heat up, it won't function and burn off stuff, causing it to get gummed up and eventually blocked.

There are cats out there that should work usually smaller and will thus wear out faster than stock, but the sizes allows them to heat up further down stream.

When you move the O/2 sensors down, it won't screw up our computers. But what it will do is delay the feedback to the EEC-IV on changes it called for. If anything that'll mess with fuel economy a bit as the EEC-IV will be dealing with larger swings thus not as tight of control.

You can run cats with longtubes. You'll have to put them aft of the transmission cross member of course, but it will work fine.

First of all is it possible? If so. The crack techs at meineke told me that if you move the O2 sensor and catylitic converter locations it will screw with the computer. In other words. Mounting long tubes will screw with the computer. I have a chip so that won't be a problem, BUT is it drivable untill it is properly tuned?

I don't understand why, but switching from medium length to longtube headers caused mine to run very rich. It did require changes to the tune to correct the problem.

David

Back