Headlight power routing.

Pokey

While reading through the pages and pages of info here in the Tech Forum, I ran across a thread about rewiring the headlights so the power is supplied via the battery directly via a relay. It reminded me of two seperate instances where my headlight switch got weak on me during some 1000 mile long road trips between here in NV and Seattle. The first time it went out I was almost home in NV and the road was straight so no biggie, I got it home.
The second time... I had left Seattle and was coming down Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 in the dead of winter and the headlights just shut off. Man talk about pucker factor! I am surprised I didn't have to go to a hospital to have the seat surgically removed from my #@%!
Anyway, enough of the story telling, I got looking at the EVTM for it afterward, and despite my electrical ignorance, it looked as if the main switch went again, I could hold the flash to pass on the multifunction switch and it would bypass the headlight switch and at least give me lights to safely come to a stop. Anyone know if that is correct? I since put a spare headlight switch in the glove box just in case it happens again, and I can change it on the spot. Or maybe it was the multifunction switch the entire time and I wasted money on three new headlight switches... dunno.
Its a 1990 BTW.
Any help is appreciated!

Glenn

Yes, it sounds more like the MF switch, not the headlight switch and it's the fog light circuit that runs too much current through the MF switch. You need to put a relay in for the fog lights.

from what i heard when i got my car the 90 exspecially had problems with the headlamps flickering/turning off, i purchased the new wiring harness from scp and installed it into mine. My car was just totalled and i might have it for sale within the next few weeks once i figure out what is going on with the insurance company!!

Back