rad hose being flat

92sclikenew

well today when i was checking my trans fluid i notice my top rad hose was flat what cause's this system isnt completly full but about an inch down...

but want cause's the top rad hose to colapse while the car is running??

couldnt find an answer in search?

Last edited:
noone has anything to add, because he is right. :)

get a new hose... your stock one is weak, therefore collapses under vaccuum... every time the tstat opens it sucks the hose down.... you better replace it... you're SOL if it collapses completely... then you'll come back and get an 'i told you so'

noone has anything to add, because he is right. :)

get a new hose... your stock one is weak, therefore collapses under vaccuum... every time the tstat opens it sucks the hose down.... you better replace it... you're SOL if it collapses completely... then you'll come back and get an 'i told you so'

ok well then thanks for confirming that... didnt think that would be the reason

Make sure your overflow tube is clear, might replace your Cap too, it can stick & do the hose colapse. I have had it 2 times in my 9 years of ownership bliss.

Make sure your overflow tube is clear, might replace your Cap too, it can stick & do the hose colapse. I have had it 2 times in my 9 years of ownership bliss.

You are correct. This is not the fault of the hose. Either the radiator cap is not allowing reverse flow of coolant from the overflow reservoir when the engine cools down during coolant contraction in the system or the vent tube is blocked. Check the cap first. It's happened to me too.

wait a minute, you said that the top hose is collapsing WHILE the engine is running? of course you should replace the hose and all, but to have that much vacume on that hose doesn't seem right. bottom hoses are typically reinforced with a coil-spring internally to keep that hose from collapsing due to the vacume/flow of the cooling system. the top hose is the output side from the engine, USUALLY the top hose will bulge or swell, not collapse.

Well it is possible as its happened to my 94 sc. As the car was gently rising above 220 when this winter trying to get my sc parked. I open the slant radiator lever to release some realy pent up pressure, which sent a large amount of coolant into the res. Well when the car cooled itself with the fan (via the ac tricked switch) the temps droped and the top hose collapsed like a pressed leather belt adn the bottom looked like a few weeks old dead rats ribcage. This happened as the coolant was expanded at 220 and then allowed air to enter the cooling system via the release lever, then the car cooled the radiator coolant with the outside temp of 8 degrees, contracted the coolant and air alot!:rolleyes:

Back