Problem with cobra brakes

kenewagner

Installed the front calipers and rotors. Decided to put the wheel on tonight and see how good it looks. The damm wheel runs into the caliper and the wheel still needs to go on another 1/4". Is it possible they sent me the wrong calipers. It was purchased from brakesrus. It is sold as a bolt on replacement for the stock caliper. My wheels fit fine with the stock caliper. Anyone else with a similuar problem??:confused:

Ken

Attachments

• Cobra calipers.jpg
    Cobra calipers.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Cobra calipers 1.jpg
    Cobra calipers 1.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 280
The dual piston cobra calipers are large and will not fit all rims except the ones with clearances to fit like the Cobra "R" wheels.

My first set of custom Boyd Coddington wheels had to be sent back for that very reason, they hit the cobra calipers.

I'm running the exact same brake setup as you and it clears my 17X9 Saleen Speed Stars replicas perfectly.What offset are you're wheels?Mine are 24mm with 5.95in of backspacing.

Jay

Ken get some spacers before you ruin the finish on the calpers.
Its the spoke design. Mine do the same thing. Spacers from the parts store gave me just enough.

That is the very reason why only a select few of the Boyd Coddington designs would fit our cars when Brad figured out the best fit on those he had made.

If it curves in too much like that, it'll hit stuff. I have the dual piston PBR's on mine and they clear my 17" wheels fine.

Hey, I got your message Ken. I don't know what to tell you on that. That looks like the exact same brake setup that I am running, and my 17's with 36mm offset and 6.42" back spacing fit just fine. As ricardo said, it looks to just be the design of the wheels and possible the offset. If you still need at least a 1/4", you might have to get longer wheels studs to run a spacer that large.

Thomas

The wheels are 18x9s I beleive the only solution is spacers. The brake job has not gone as smooth as I would like. :rolleyes: This car always seem to fight me when it comes to modifying it, almost like a woman;)

Ken

Ken,

What your dealing with is exactly why it's so difficult to get a set of lightweight racing wheels for the front that will work with those brakes.

David

David, will this be an issue for you with your new wheels?

Mike
It better not be, we took all of the dimensions off my car that already has 13" Cobra brakes install. Heck, Dave made 2 trips to my house because Bogart wanted some more specific information than was asked on their schematic.

I know David will be making the trip to my house for a test fit as soon as the wheels arrive.

Have people had problems with the Cobra brakes on 18x9 Bullitt rims?

-Corey

Last edited:
Ken,

What your dealing with is exactly why it's so difficult to get a set of lightweight racing wheels for the front that will work with those brakes.

David

Im watching you closely to see what you end up for rear tires on your car. I dont want to keep running my Nittos on the 1/4 mile and tear them up so I want to mount slicks on my old stock wheels. Looking forward to see what you decide to run

Ken

Ken,
Sorry to see that you have issues fitting those nice wheels over those huge brakes. (No, really, I am sorry! :D ) I'm watching closely as the wheels I've got picked out will likely have the same issue as the wheel design is very close to yours. Let me know when you find spacers and how much they are. I may jump on that with you just to have them in case I run into the same issue, which I likely will.

Bullitts will clear Cobra brakes because those brakes are OE on the Bullitt. This is the first set of non-race wheels I've seen that created spoke clearance problems with Cobra PBRs.

Back