S-Porting Question

89_WhiteBirdy

I have a chance to get an S-Ported 89 Supercharger at a good price, but i am not sure if it is worth it in the long run because i want to do more to my engine. If i purchase this Blower will it limit specific parts like an Aftermarket TB and/or MAFS or anything else? Thanks

I don't think it's going to really limit anything in front of it. It will limit the potential you could get out of heads/cams/Dbl IC, etc. I guess it depends on how soon you plan to do the other stuff. If it is a while off and the blower really is a good deal, I'd say buy it and swap it on, and enjoy the use of it while you are waiting to do the other stuff. You can always sell it later.

Thomas

I believe several of the members have swapped in later 36 lb injectors and a corresponding MAF calibrated for 36's.

How much is the blower? The restriction for the TB will be the inlet and not the blower. Without modification, I believe the inlet can be blended so that a 70 mm TB can be used. Anything larger than that will require the inlet be modified.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95494&page=2

the stock inlet plenum can be made into 90mm I cut a weld 3 inch id tube and open up the flange and most areas of the plenum
and he would not have to sell it i can mod a early model to S port and from s port to smily face mpiii/mpx style but id say 42 lbs would be a better injector size .

i also make adjustable maf's 70mm 80mm qnd 90mm all have adjustable sample tubes via adnustment bolt just like you tb unit has for control of air flow mine pass so calif smog with a slightly lumpy cam and 42 lbs inj,

75mm tb and a 80mm maf i adjusted sample tube openning till it ran correctly.

the S port is a great blower for moderate emgimes enuff to satisfie most. the mpiii/mpx styles are not the best choice for a everyday driver lots of rpm and friction/heat when turning 20% od

sorry keyboard keys sticking and some leytters poping up i did not press . tim fore a new keyboard

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys. I might upgrade the TB a little bit bigger/thats iffy, but now i am thinking pulleys might be the way to go because i just have stock ones.

How much is the blower going to cost? Who ported it? Are you thinking pulleys instead of the blower? Ported blower could potentially result in more power gain.

How much is the blower going to cost? Who ported it? Are you thinking pulleys instead of the blower? Ported blower could potentially result in more power gain.

Blower will be around 500, what i am saying is that i want the blower and instead of the TB and MAFS i might just get some new pulleys, but now starting to doubt that because i still want the car to be my daily driver and with pulleys it might put to much stress on the engine....but im not sure:D so if anyone has any opinions about pulleys please let me know.

Blower will be around 500, what i am saying is that i want the blower and instead of the TB and MAFS i might just get some new pulleys, but now starting to doubt that because i still want the car to be my daily driver and with pulleys it might put to much stress on the engine....but im not sure:D so if anyone has any opinions about pulleys please let me know.

See if you can find a used MP inlet plenum instead of buying the pulleys. Then you will have a good foundation for adding cold air intake, larger MAF and larger TB in the future.

These blowers are very sensitive to inlet restrictions.

David

If anything the pullies will cause less stress on the motor if you get aluminum.... less rotating mass. I'm using stock sized aluminum pullies and I noticed right away that the car rev'd quicker.

If your going for the later style blower with some porting, you really should at least get yourself a larger MAF. The Throttle Body upgrade can wait as its not going to do you much good unless you get an MP inlet installed, and if anything a larger TB could hurt you on a stock plenum... it creates alot of flow turbulence going from big to small like that.

damons got a polished mp2 w/ polished mp plenum sitting on his shelf....

As I hear it, Damon has enough blowers and inlets "sitting on the shelf" for the next ten SC's he's going to buy. What you say Damon, can I get a hell ya.

See if you can find a used MP inlet plenum instead of buying the pulleys. Then you will have a good foundation for adding cold air intake, larger MAF and larger TB in the future.

These blowers are very sensitive to inlet restrictions.

David

David,

I didn't think there was an MP inlet for an oval port. Are you thinking rectangular port or is there something available?

David,

I didn't think there was an MP inlet for an oval port. Are you thinking rectangular port or is there something available?

When he said S ported I assumed it was a late model blower with the rectangular port, but after rereading I see he mentions an 89 blower. Not sure what it is, but if it's an 89 blower it's not an S port. If it's just a ported 89 blower, I wouldn't waste your money on it.

David

When he said S ported I assumed it was a late model blower with the rectangular port, but after rereading I see he mentions an 89 blower. Not sure what it is, but if it's an 89 blower it's not an S port. If it's just a ported 89 blower, I wouldn't waste your money on it.

David

It is an 89 model..Why do you say it is not an s-port. S-porting is porting under the rotors right? I believe and hope that is how this one is done, but he hasnt sent me any pics so i dont know for sure.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96541

It is an 89 model..Why do you say it is not an s-port. S-porting is porting under the rotors right? I believe and hope that is how this one is done, but he hasnt sent me any pics so i dont know for sure.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96541

You can't make an S port from an early model blower. You can port an early model blower all you want and it will never perform as well as a late model ported blower. S port is made by Magnason (Eaton Distributor) by porting a late model blower...there is no such thing as an S ported early style blower.

I've had extensively reworked early style blowers in the past and they suck compared to an S port, or MPII. MPII is an early model blower with the rear case cut off and a late model style inlet epoxied and screwed on.

David

You can't make an S port from an early model blower. You can port an early model blower all you want and it will never perform as well as a late model ported blower. S port is made by Magnason (Eaton Distributor) by porting a late model blower...there is no such thing as an S ported early style blower.

I've had extensively reworked early style blowers in the past and they suck compared to an S port, or MPII. MPII is an early model blower with the rear case cut off and a late model style inlet epoxied and screwed on.

David

David,

He may be referring to this.

http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=99

Mike

That ad is a little missleading and shouldn't be calling it "our S porting", because it won't come close to performing like a real S port. It also will not accept a MP inlet plenum, and unless you do a lot of cutting and welding to the early style inlet plenum it's going to be a bottlekneck that will restrict air to the supercharger inlet.

Hogging out the oval inlet or increasing the size of the inlet by moving the opening towards the bottom of the case, is not the answer for big increases in power. The inlet opening needs to be moved upward as was done with the MPII.

David

Back