Window Help

AX-MAN

It seems that the driver side window has come out of its cradles again, has anyone found a long term fix for this....the first time I tried that "Mighty Putty" and it turns out there's one thing it can't do...so far (next I'll try it on an exhaust leak:D)

Something that works good is the plain old RTV silicon. But the trick is getting the surfaces absolutely clean of any oil, dust, residue. I use a bit of brake parts cleaner on a shop rag and then fill the channel with RTV being sure to get all air gaps out. What you don't want is a hard set adhesive like epoxy or JB weld. You want something with just a bit of give to take the shock when the window seats. :cool:

I assume you are saying the window came out of the plastic clips that are bolted to the window regulator track. I used the Ford TSB specified 3M Structural Adhesive on 2 cars and it worked fine. Never had another issue. As mentioned though the windo and clips have to be clean before using it.

I used clear, liquid epoxy that Permatex sells. It's specified to use on glass, plastic, etc... Wear some gloves if you use it, though. By the time I was done, the epoxy halfway dried on my hand and it took a month to come off. You can feel it activating because it starts to get warm.

I tend to ignore a manufacturer's request when it was them who installed the window in the first place. That's when one's own intuition comes into play.

As stated above, you must have an oil and debris free surface before anything will work.

Or you can just go to a local pull-a-part and get a complete window from any old MN-12 that's there......

Just bolt it in place and your good to go.....:D

I don't remember the brand of the epoxy that I've used in the past, but I have discovered one little trick that has seemed to help. I drill a small hole through the clip before applying the epoxy and installing it onto the glass. A bit of the excess epoxy will be pushed out of the hole in the clip, giving it a little bit more engagement with the clip. As irritating and unenjoyable as it is when these clips remove themselves from the glass, I figure that any extra help I can give the clip in holding the glass is worthwhile.

-Rod

I've used a product called "Amazing Goop" in the past with good success. It's very strong, and retains some resilience when cured so that it won't fracture. You can get it at Wal Mart, or most hardware stores for a few bucks. As everyone has stated, everthing has to be clean.

JD

I used plastic weld that I got at Advance Auto Parts, never had a problem with it. You do need to make sure that all of the old glue, expoxy, ect is off of the old parts before you use it.

Also, don't open that window for a day or so after to allow it to dry completely.

It's a fix and forget repair.....:D

Too many other things going wrong to have to keep messing with a window.....:p

Thanks guys

I'll be repairing the window this weekend, it was getting a little annoying trying to show ID at the gate having to open the door, wait until the seat belt slid past, then hold my ID out for the gate guard....

Back