Balance of a reman longblock...

cap320

I'm reading the factory manual about this and I'm still a little confused....
Can I put the original flywheel and HB on a remaned long block. How do the balance issues work out? Is the flywheel neutrally balanced to itself as I understand the HB and pulley is? Am I getting this right? This is for a '93 SC and I haven't ordered the motor yet.... (rod bearing failed in old motor, 145k on the clock)Thanks John

Don't use original HB!

The orig. is worn out with those miles you should spend the extra cash and get the BHJ steel balancer which yes is zero balanced and ready to put on.

Well it comes with instructions to take away some of the hole to fit better around the crankshaft and you need to use that ring that is bolted to the
stock balancer, well other people will chime in and explain also!:)Flywheel is ok!

Just check the teeth for any unusual wear, but i'd replace that to so you don't have to worry about it later and they are cheap and you can buy them
at any auto zone or places like that!

Tom

Last edited:
Stock balancer is neutral balanced together with the front pulley.
Stock flywheel is neutral balanced

The SC block is internally balanced thus you want to bolt zero balanced stuff to it. Ideally you have a rebuilt motor re-balanced with the flywheel and balancer you intend to use, so it can zeroed right in.

Thanks guys... that's what I thought, neutral on HB and flywheel. Just wanted to make sure. Autozone showed a HB.... need to verify that though. Anybody have any experience with S&S out in Seatle for remaned longblocks? Seems to be the best price so far... John

Unless Dorman has started making them, I'm not aware of any aftermarket balancer other than the BHJ for the SC motor. Hmm, their website shows a pioneer #DA-2320 but the picture appears to have a balance weight on it. I'd be concerned if that is the case.

I'd call pioneer directly to confirm the part. Auto parts stores have been known to confuse the issues.
http://www.pioneerautoinc.com/HB2002.htm

Yeah, I just looked at their website (autozone)The OEM part number they show is for a MFI 3.8 not the SC. Deceiving when you are searching under '93 SC .... BHJ is it I guess. John

Back