Time for a cam, need input

MediumD

I'm looking at doing a cam swap in my 90 SC. The car is an 5spd, 3.27s, ported 94 blower, intake, headers, exhaust, and the occasional 50 shot - with a 10% OD and air/water IC setup soon to come.

I need some more top end out of this motor, as I'm sure you all know this motor acts like a big block - great torque, but keels over before 5000. My SC is a street car and will be running street tires, and I can't use any more low end as it is. I wouldn't have a problem sacrificing low RPM torque for top end. I don't want to touch the heads, and although I will throw my wideband in it to keep an eye on things I'd like to get away without an actual tune if I can.

From the little bit of searching I'm thinking somewhere around 510 lift and 210/220 dur. would be good for my goals... I'd appreciate any input/opinions on the specs.

Now I'd like to find a vendor that will sell me essentially a kit with a reground cam, springs and pushrods... pretty much what I need to do this swap. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
All you need to do is e-mail Dave Dalke aka XR7 Dave his e-mail is mdkracing@alltel.net and he can spec you a custom ground cam that'll do what your looking to do and sell you everything thats needed to install it.

Jay

I would reconsider not doing anything to the heads. Even a mild port and polish will make better use of whatever cam you install.

From the little bit of searching I'm thinking somewhere around 510 lift and 210/220 dur. would be good for my goals... I'd appreciate any input/opinions on the specs.

That's the cam I was going to suggest. I would also reccomend getting it made from a fresh core instead of doing a regrind...Dave Dalke (XR7Dave) can supply the cam and related advice.

David

I have a cam that is very close to that on in specs. It idles smoothly and runs good. I, looking back, would get something with a little more lift. Dave has one I beleive with a .550 lift. I would also rethink the heads, they are not the best flowing heads in stock form.

Ken

If you arent touching the heads as in valve springs I would not reccomend going over a .500 lift cam..Maybe not even that much lift at that..With drop in springs you can go up to 520

If you arent touching the heads as in valve springs I would not reccomend going over a .500 lift cam..Maybe not even that much lift at that..With drop in springs you can go up to 520

That is likely correct about the lift and stock heads. I have a set of Dave's bee hive springs so a higher lift cam would have worked well for me. I was a little cash poor at the time so I went with the smaller cam to keep my expenses down some what. I cant give much imput on the performace part of the cam as I have had tuneing problems unrealted to the cam

Ken

Last edited:
Wait, are you saying that a .500 lift cam is all the head flow will keep up with, or is that all the stock springs will keep up with? I was planning on upgrading the springs, they are 100k old to begin with and with increased boost levels better springs seems like a good plan.

I haven't heard anything about the timing chain on these motors, am I correct in assuming the factory piece is pretty robust?

One more thing, who is David Dalke? I've seen the name, I've seen some of his posts, I've also seen that he doesn't have a website... is he a vendor with a shop or what exactly?

The stock heads won't flow beyond .500 lift and you also start to run out of room on the valve spring side so staying with that on stock heads is a good idea. Once you go to aftermarket valves the program changes entirely.

That being said, a cam will help you make more power even with stock heads.

I am a vendor and have a full machine shop for engine building and I specialize in hardcore engine parts. I do not have a website, sorry but you can always reach me at the email address in my sig below.

Back