PDA

View Full Version : Running with SC belt off, plus other question on my dead car

91AZ_Johnny
02-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey guys, me again...

After a head gasket blew about three weeks ago, I've been slowly putting it all back together whenever I can with the weather here and all. What a nightmare....

Anyways, today, I took a closer look at my supercharger. Popped off the front snout and got pretty depressed. I'd figured the coupler was going bad as the thing has almost 200K miles on it now and it's been making a racket since I moved back here to CT and the weather got cold.

Well, it's a bigger mess than I'd hoped. The coupler is pretty beat up and the seals leak oil all over the place, including into the intake. There was so much hard crusty burnt oil inside the snout it was ridiculous. Also some chunks of plastic, which I assume were from the coupler and a few little pieces of metal that look sort of the size of the spring thingy on the coupler itself.

So, all this leads to my questions...

Someone else mentioned you can run these cars with the s/c belts taken off, and the vacuum bypass valve wired to stay open. Is there any more I'd need to do, to be able to drive the car for now, or is it that simple ? I REALLY need to get it back on the road, so I'll still have a job to go back to. I really don't want to run the s/c if I can do this, because obviously it's a mess and I don't want the thing to implode on me. It's my only transportation right now and I just can't afford to get the s/c completely rebuilt, like it obviously needs badly. Running out of money as it is, so that's not an option, unfortunately.

Has anyone here DONE this ? Did the car run ok, or was it a huge headache ? I've also got to get the ABS working again, so that, along with the disconnected supercharger weighs heavily on the car being drivable.

I'd love to be able to just buy another used supercharger, but I don't think I can honestly afford one right now. The head gasket blowing, and all the stuff I had to replace so far, with that is putting me in a financial bind and I can't find anything I can afford anywhere so far.

As far as running it without the s/c belt on, if you've done this, feel free to chime in and let me know how it ran, etc ? I'm also open to any ideas, helpful hints, etc about the rest of my current mess of a car.

Thanks !

John

kenewagner
02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Car will run fine without the supercharger and the bypass wired opened. Many people here have done that

Ken

91AZ_Johnny
02-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks Ken,

Just want to know what to expect is all. The bypass diameter seems pretty small and made me wonder how well it works.

John

mywhite89
02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
you wont be breaking any speed records but you can still go as fast as you need to. I drove 70mph without a problem with my belt off.

91AZ_Johnny
02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks, appreciate the input. Had enough problems as it is, this last couple months. Don't need any more surprises, if I can help it.

Deep6
02-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I ran mine without the S/C belt for a whole summer simply because I didn't want to pay $2.00 for premium. Remember THOSE days?

The car will accelerate just fine to about Half Throttle. Then it just kinda falls on it's face. It basically feels like having a 4cylinder engine in the car. But you could probably get up to 80-90 mph if you really tried. If you floor it- you might get a check engine light because the computer is expecting 12+ PSI boost and is injecting a large volume of fuel into the engine.

I didn't wire open my vacuum bypass valve though so I don't really know what this would do to things.

SK_BlownThunder
02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I still don't know the big issue behind the fuel. Maybe I've just lucked out or something. I overhauled my entire motor before I even put the car on the road back in 04 when I first got it. Used Sealed Power head gaskets (supposedly redesigned to last alot longer than the stock gaskets that blow all the time). I've been running 87 octane with no ticks, bumps, rattles, pre-detinations or anything - blower and all. Pulled the plugs three times just to check their status and all is good.

I've had ignition problems where the motor would "conk" out when starting it up, until of course it got the proper signal from #1 cylinder, then it fired up no problem. I replaced the damper with a BHJ and noticed the key stock started chewing away the key-way in the stock damper - the steel BHJ solved that issue. Now I just have small issues with it seeming to missfire or choke for a split second or two when under load or heavy accelerations on the highway. Ran the car for two months straight while putting 4000 kms on it while running 92 octane premium and still had the problem, so it ain't the gas. (thought I would rule that out quickly).

In reply to the previous entry, the computer should still properly mix the fuel whether your blower is running or not. The MAF and TPS tells it how much air is coming in so as long as the motor is using what comes in (in the case of natural aspiration) the computer should only put enough fuel in for that ratio - regardless your speed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's how it works.

Maybe I am wrecking the motor slowly but wouldn't you still hear some kind of a knock or ping from pre-detonation before something goes wrong?