Fiberglass hood problems?

rad_al_

Been thinking about getting a fiberglass hood. Has anyone had any problems with paint cracking, warping, heat from the supercharger messing up the paint, etc?

Been thinking about getting a fiberglass hood. Has anyone had any problems with paint cracking, warping, heat from the supercharger messing up the paint, etc?

Where were you planning on getting yours from...When i got my ram air style hood from Super coupe performance i took it to a friend of mine who has a hot rod shop and they had to do a ton of modifications and they could still not get it to fit perfectly... It sits up like 1/8 to a quarter inch too high on the driver side, the part that curves down, that the emblem is on is crooked, and the accuators dont fit..but that was just me i dont know about anyone else

Here is the hood i got

http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=270

i will get you some pics of mine on my car if you want.

Last edited:
I have a Cervini hood and have had good luck with it. Like most fiberglass hoods you have to do some finish work on it 8 hours or so to get it really nice. Fits about as good as any glass hood does.

The only problem I have had is having to pull the hood shocks off when I auto-X . The pass side hood shock will bind with the body flexing and made a small crack where it mounts to the hood (which has been repaired).

Some had used hood pins on them, but I have had good luck with the factory hood latch just takes some time to get it adjusted correctly.

No heat problem.

No issues

I also ordered mine from Bill at Supercoupeperformance, and have had no issues. Mine was the Ram Air for a 96-97, I also changed out the header panel and headlights. I am using the factory hood latch and just had to adjust the catch up a little to get it to latch tightly, and cut it out a little around the hook, but I didn't want to use hood pins, No isses with flex or lifting at 85 mph anyway. I have actually had it off to rebuild engine and it took like 10 minutes to get it back on correctly. I was really impressed with the fit and finish, even underneath on the bottom. Here is a pic so you can see the fit.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96309&page=13

Smitty

Back